BPS Pro Qualifier Baitcast Reel

Product: BPS Pro Qualifier Baitcast Reel

Default BPS Pro Qualifier Baitcast Reel

Product Manufacturer: Bass Pro Shops
    Official product description:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...roduct/102287/

Text (2/2016):

"The Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier Baitcast Reel has become a fixture in Bassmaster Elite pro Edwin Evers' boat. Overall, we'd have to say that he's done pretty well with his Pro Qualifier baitcasters, and no wonder. We build the Pro Qualifier to fit the way tournament anglers fish. Whether you're fishing a weekend buddy bash or the Bassmaster Classic, this reel will put you at the top of your game. From its one-piece machined-aluminum frame and double-anodized, machined-aluminum drilled spool, to its Recurve handle and drag star, the design is sleek, light and functional. And every feature is geared for performance, including the quality 7-bearing system with Powerlock instant anti-reverse; our Dual Braking System with click-adjustable magnetic and 6-pin centrifugal cast control systems working in concert; a hard titanium-coated line guide. A pin-release side plate for quick brake adjustments on the fly. Soft touch thumb bar. Built-in lube port. Yep—you're gonna love this reel!
    Built to put you at the top of your game"

• One-piece machined-aluminum frame
    • Double-anodized, machined-aluminum drilled spool
    • 7-bearing system with Powerlock instant anti-reverse
    • Dual Braking System
    • Pin-release side plate for quick brake adjustments
    • Built-in lube port
    Always under-promise & over-deliver (Fortune Cookie)
    Native Mariner 12.5 Propel / Wilderness Systems Ride 135

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Review of Latest Model

Price Paid: 50.00 (retail: $99)
    Recommended: Yes
    Cons: drag washers, retail price
    Pros: sale price, relative value, lightweight, casts well, smooth operation, easy pin release of side plate, lube port
    I have owned several of these reels over the years, but this review is based on my experience with the latest model (purchased 2015/16) in the following ratios: 5.2:1, 6.4:1, 7.1:1. Note that the retail price is now $99, but the reel is frequently on sale at a much cheaper price, e.g., I purchase two in 2015 for $50 each, then got another in 2016 in a $100 rod-reel combo.

Short version: There are very good reels for the money, especially so if you get them on sale. The reels cast well, are reasonably light, operate smoothly, and in general are just a pleasure to use.

I've only had two issues: stock drag washers are not great -- they often bind and "stutter" under pressure. You can fix that temporarily by cleaning and coating with drag grease, but best long-term fix is upgrade to carbon fiber washer (ca. $10 from Smoothdrag). I use braided line exclusively, and rely on my rod action and a smooth drag to provide the needed "forgiveness" in my system to compensate for braid's lack of stretch. Upgrading to carbon fiber really turns this product into a top-notch "economy" reel that can handle big fish that make hard & long runs (e.g., red drum). Note that the drag stack in the Pro Qualifier is a significant upgrade over the BPS Extreme reel (PQ has 4 drag washers - 3 in main stack, one under main gear, Extreme only 2 - 1 under main gear, 1 in main stack).

The anti-reverse / clutch bearing failed in one reel, but it was an easy & cheap fix. EWC 1010 bearing is available for ca. $10-15, depending on source, and simple to replace.

Love the reels. Easy to work on. Powerful, smooth and reliable, especially for the price. Will buy more, especially when on sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pro.qualifier.BPS.jpg‎ 
Views:	132 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	80985  
    Bleedingblue, and JBassAssassin like this.

Always under-promise & over-deliver (Fortune Cookie)
    Native Mariner 12.5 Propel / Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Default info

Price Paid: n\a
    Recommended: Yes
    Cons: na
    Pros: looking for suggestions
    what rod combo would u suggest with this reel i was actually just chatting with another member for good rod and reel set ups i should get next and this looks to be a rather good start.
    JBassAssassin, and Spider Crack like this.

1/2 PBH

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements