Fishing Pamlico sound???

Thread: Fishing Pamlico sound???

Default Fishing Pamlico sound???

I am going on vacation next week to the OB, specifically Buxton/Cape Hatteras and am looking for any tips on what bait to use, techniques ect.

I would probably be going in the early morning before everyone else wakes up or in the evenings when we are done doing whatever we are doing, split my time between the ocean and the sound and fishing from shore with a 6'6'' ugly stick with a spinning real.

I am from Indiana and catfish mostly so ocean/sound fishing is not anything I have ever done and I just want to make the most of my limited time on the water.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Re: Fishing Pamlico sound???

2 hook bottom rig. Fresh shrimp or mud minnows. With limitied time I'd keep it simple and enjoy myself. Tackle shops can give you the "low down" at that time. You may want to hit a pier since water access ( other than surf) can be an issue on foot. Make sure you purchase a temporary saltwater license before you start. be sure and rinse off your gear with fresh water as fast as you can when you finish each trip. Most of all... HAVE FUN!!
    * Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

The title says pamlico, but it looks like buxton right? If you have a 6'6" ugly I would try inshore for reds and blues on lures if your bored, but the double bottom rig with shrimp will outfish anything IMO, maybe not the biggest catches but the most effective. You'll catch rays, eels, fish and anything else that may be hungry. Either way you can't really go wrong with the double bottom rig, and concentrate on the tides.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks guys, not to sound to stupid, I am from Indiana, but is a 2 hook bottom rig 2 hooks and 2 shrimp or 1 shrimp and 2 hooks?

2 hooks with 2 seperate baits. Like a Crappie minnow rig you might use up that way..
    * Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

Great, can't wait, leaving this Sat morning, spend a day in DC then off to the beach!!
    sundrop likes this.

My brother just got back from a week around New Bern on the Neuse River (I think it empties into the Pamlico) and had a great fishing trip. He used a cast net and caught bait at the ramps, used a Carolina rig and fished flats and edges of chanels. Anchored and drifted, but did better anchored up and during the night. Hope this helps a little--Have a great time.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Check out this link....

Amelia Island Fishing - Rigs for Amelia Island Fishing

Yep 2 hook bottom rig and fresh shrimp or catch some sand fleas at the edge of the surf and you'll catch sea mullet and pompano....

always have a spoon or something else ready to tie on in the event the spanish come feeding hard in the surf zone...

<*)))))>{
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements