Upper Little Creek Impoundment Fishing Report

Thread: Upper Little Creek Impoundment Fishing Report

Default Upper Little Creek Impoundment Fishing Report

Made my first trip to a local waterfowl impoundment that I've driven by for years, but never stopped at. This particular one is located just south of the intersection of Farrington Rd and Stagecoach road, off of 54.

Anyhow, it's a small place with a long concrete embankment. I could see fish flip on top of the water for a while, but was having trouble drawing bites with my usual go to bait (a white jig). Eventually, after exploring some of the area beyond the embankment and not having much luck, I returned and tied on a black Panther Martin spinner (gold blade) and started getting hits. There were a number of fat shellcracker, 1-2 baby largemouth, and several Roanoke bass that I caught fishing parallel to the embankment. Supposedly, there are decent sized bowfin swimming around there, but I didn't see any or have them hit what I was offering.

Anyone else try any of the other area impoundments and had much luck?

Click image for larger version.

Name:	File May 01, 1 25 20 AM.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	93881

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

new to the area and this impoundment and the one off stagecoach rd by the bridge are the only places i've tried so far. there are nice sized bowfin at both places. i've got a couple decent bass at the upper little creek one and a few bullhead. my girlfriend managed to land a couple bowfin here as well. have had a few larger fish snap us off. below are the 2 bowfin, one had it's tail chewed off by something in there. the other is the biggest bass i've caught so far there.

Bowfin, no tail by wendell hall, on Flickr

Bowfin by wendell hall, on Flickr

IMG_20160414_104021927 by wendell hall, on Flickr
    drjon, and Spider Crack like this.

beaver1080, your first bowfin is likely the very same bowfin that my wife caught there a few days ago. No tail, no problem for that guy! I've seen a brown furry something (beaver?) swimming in the pool on two separate occasions.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've never caught a bowfin before. What'd you catch him on?

nice job but no Roanokes in there....Green Sunfish in your hand. aggressive boogers
    dbeam, and Swampin' like this.

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

Next time cut up some of those sunfish and throw a couple of cut baits as close to the bridge pilings as you can. You will probably catch some catfish but you will definitely catch bowfin. When I was in school I caught lots of them there.

FYI, in the late winter/early spring that is a great place to catch carp. They stack up heavily and are easy to see when they're around. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'll head back there sometime to give it a try.

the ones that i lost the week before were on crayfish and one on a rapala. the 2 pictured my girlfriend got on worms

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements