2016 New River Smallmouth Planning Thread - Page 10
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 684

Thread: 2016 New River Smallmouth Planning Thread

  1. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    My scout troop (with my by then 14 year old) will be camping on Friday night at the group camp site at the 220 access. (Saturday night will be at the Allaghany canoe in campground).

    They will be getting there around 7:00.

    Anyone interested in presenting to the scouts a talk on kayak fishing? We'll have 15-20 scouts who would enjoy the education...
    froggy waters likes this.

    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #137
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Apex
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    I'm looking at getting up there definitely Wednesday, possibly Tuesday. Do some serial relaxin'...
    If anyone else is going early let's get out and do some fishing. Also I have space for any late comers at site 22.

  4. #138
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Apex
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    My scout troop (with my by then 14 year old) will be camping on Friday night at the group camp site at the 220 access. (Saturday night will be at the Allaghany canoe in campground).

    They will be getting there around 7:00.

    Anyone interested in presenting to the scouts a talk on kayak fishing? We'll have 15-20 scouts who would enjoy the education...
    That's a great trip Len, they are going to love it. Are you going with them?
    biglenr, and froggy waters like this.


  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #139
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    concord
    Posts
    8,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    My scout troop (with my by then 14 year old) will be camping on Friday night at the group camp site at the 220 access. (Saturday night will be at the Allaghany canoe in campground).

    They will be getting there around 7:00.

    Anyone interested in presenting to the scouts a talk on kayak fishing? We'll have 15-20 scouts who would enjoy the education...
    The Allegheny Access is an entirely different animal than the 221. Outhouse and no amenities. The rock cliff on the opposite side of the river has been dated over a billion years old.

    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

  7. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    I had already booked with the Red X, and the scouts have other competent leaders, so I will stay with the Red X for the weekend. Plus, they'll be in tippy canoes, not big stable NuCanoes, so it's not my scene.... I might invite my son to come down to my site for dinner Friday, save him some trouble.

    Actually, I'm one of the least competent scout outdoor leaders in my troop.... We have about 10 adult leaders, two of whom have thru-hiked the Appalacian trail, another who was a forest ranger, another who is a speed hiker (averages 25+ miles per day on the trail), a guy who lives off the grid as a black smith and farrier, and another guy who has spent 6 months in Antartica. I usually help the boys more with the academic merit badges and fishing.

    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

  8. #141
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    I had already booked with the Red X, and the scouts have other competent leaders, so I will stay with the Red X for the weekend. Plus, they'll be in tippy canoes, not big stable NuCanoes, so it's not my scene.... I might invite my son to come down to my site for dinner Friday, save him some trouble.

    Actually, I'm one of the least competent scout outdoor leaders in my troop.... We have about 10 adult leaders, two of whom have thru-hiked the Appalacian trail, another who was a forest ranger, another who is a speed hiker (averages 25+ miles per day on the trail), a guy who lives off the grid as a black smith and farrier, and another guy who has spent 6 months in Antartica. I usually help the boys more with the academic merit badges and fishing.
    Based on my experience at Kerr Scott M&G, you could also help with camp cooking Len. Is there a merit badge for the Dutch Oven?
    biglenr, dbeam, EvBlue, and froggy waters like this.


  9. #142
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    danbury
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    I am sure someone will be a able to speak with the kids if they would like .

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    biglenr, and dbeam like this.

    RED X ANGLER

  10. #143
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    There are cooking requirements for each level of scouts, and the cooking merit badge is required for Eagle scout. It involves requirements that include dutch oven cooking. I learned how to use a dutch oven and foil packet campfire cooking by watching the scouts do requirements for their merit badges... I do a really good sausage & peppers in a foil packet, and it's also great for crappie or catfish filets with butter and lemon juice.

    Thanks Froggy... I'll bounce it off the troop next Monday.
    dbeam, and froggy waters like this.

    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

  11. #144
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    concord
    Posts
    8,902

    Default

    There is a lot that goes into planning one of these outings. In an effort to ensure adequate fish stocks are available I will 'take one for the team' and go float the mythical secret Friday float area. You can thank me later.

    The following Friday and Saturday I also will be floating other areas that we will encounter on our meet and greet in order to clear any hazards, ensure safe conditions and also to ensure adequate smallmouth bass populations exist.

    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

  12. #145
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Apex
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    When you guess mentioned dutch oven I was thinking something else.
    finstalker likes this.


  13. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylorsville
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    There is a lot that goes into planning one of these outings. In an effort to ensure adequate fish stocks are available I will 'take one for the team' and go float the mythical secret Friday float area. You can thank me later.

    The following Friday and Saturday I also will be floating other areas that we will encounter on our meet and greet in order to clear any hazards, ensure safe conditions and also to ensure adequate smallmouth bass populations exist.
    Those are grounds for disqualification.

    Red x rules Sect.48 1.2.4 Amendment 17

    Red X Angler
    Let's go FISHIN'....

  14. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Echerd View Post
    Those are grounds for disqualification.

    Red x rules Sect.48 1.2.4 Amendment 17
    You missed the part in section 53.14.59 sub-paragraph (k) where the Judge can only be disqualified for disparaging red southern hot dogs.
    froggy waters, GreyGhost, and h2ohhh like this.

    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

  15. #148
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    danbury
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    I don't think it will matter .. D,Q's will be across the board . I am fairly certain this new bait and techniques we are prototyping will have to be made available to all participants prior to the days fishing. To even keep froggette out of the hot seat. For unfair advantages for use of fish drugging tactics and technology. Granting her an unfair advantage. Wanting to obtain 17"< fish . On this excursion

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    GreyGhost, and h2ohhh like this.

    RED X ANGLER

  16. #149
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    concord
    Posts
    8,902

    Default

    Froggette could use dynamite and not get DQ'd. As for the rest of you guys....I'm taking notes.
    Echerd, froggy waters, and GreyGhost like this.

    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

  17. #150
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Raeford
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    Schedule doesn't look good for me. I'll post when I know for sure

  18. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts