Bass fishing to so overrated it's sad - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass fishing to so overrated it's sad

I live at the coast and the annihilation of our inshore species trout,spot croakers and flounder is beyond disgraceful. I went today and caught 15 12-13"trout. I guess this is what can get through the nets. Yes once in a while you have a good day, granted I wade or kayak fish. But, this has been the norm for the last 5-6 years. The shrimp trawlers can be seen daily scraping every living thing in the White Oak.
    So be thankful whatever you have to catch, gill netting bass is still illegal for now. I'm happy I have access to those pond dwellers.
    yakattackabass likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, not the bass and trout I've seen! The trout in Connecticut when I was growing up, except the ones they stock before opening day, were the hardest to catch. Good sized bass are a close second in my experience. Bluegills, catfish and crappie are the easiest. You guys must be better fishermen than I am!

I now almost exclusively target bass on a fly rod with flies I tied while floating down rivers in a canoe in rivers.

For years I worshiped at the trout alter and would only go bass fishing to humor a friend. Who knows what I'll be fishing for in five years? I just know I'll be having a ball doing it!
    ChltBnks, and yakattackabass like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cool! I plan to do some fly fishing for bass and panfish this summer.

Inland, I am drawn more to panfish than bass. I do bass fish sometimes and I catch a lot of small to middlin' bass as by catch when pan fishing, especially when paddle trolling for perch at Harris. I wouldn't win any tourneys bass fishing, but I can do okay when I target them exclusively. I did that more last year than I have in a while, but it was mostly because I took up paddling SUP. As odd as it sounds, I wanted to catch fewer fish because I was out there to paddle as much as or more than to fish. Bass fishing I would just paddle in to a likely looking spot, cast a few times, catch one (but more often not) and then move on. When I pulled into a cove where the panfish bite was hot, I tended to spend a lot more time in there. In an odd twist, when I go to the beach I like to target larger fish. I haven't done that often but plan to do that a lot more starting this year.

I caught this bass paddling the Tar in my kayak last year, but you will note that I replaced that avatar pretty quickly with one of a panfish on the SUP, because that's really more reflective of who I am. Different strokes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	andytar0708small.jpg‎
Views:	256
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	193161
    -Andy

Catching a LARGE bass has been more exciting than any other freshwater species Ive targeted

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12