Bass fishing to so overrated it's sad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass fishing to so overrated it's sad

Default Bass fishing to so overrated it's sad

I'll be the first to admit it---I'm a "bass fishermen" first and foremost. Always have been since before Ray Scott was working the carnival tour....................but this picture made me realize just what a bunch of babies we are. Canoes and yaks working through rapids might help man it up a bit but here is a picture of a not rich guy that knows how to get his monies worth out on a "bass lake" Wonder what the second net is for.....catching bait?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95blue.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	97313

I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I use to bass fish years ago. I could never go back now. I love catfishing now. I like the challenge of catching bigfish. The sheer power of some of those fish is impressive. I guess it's a mind frame. I can't see people having a $80.000 boat with a 250 on the back going out after little fish. I really don't get it.
    Bluegill, dbeam, jerry condrey, and Swampin' like this.

Bass fishing is like any other sport/competition. You've got the guys that do it for the joy of it an you've got the ones who like the "show" and have to have the latest and greatest. One of the "perks" of this little Jon boat club is fishing often on the same day in the same waters as those "show boats" and landing bigger bags at the end of the day! I will be on one of those "fast" boats someday but it will be a machine that does what I need it to do, get me on the fish. I will not pay tons of "cash for flash". And I will not be trading it in every time some manufacturer has a new model. To each their own. Just not my style.
    I love catching all types of fish! This Bass thing is new to me from a focal standpoint. I've never worked hard at it until now, but I am enjoying it. I still say a Red drum is a better fight, and love hauling in a big old Cat!
    jerry condrey likes this.

* Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm just thankful I live somewhere where Bass isn't the only gamefish option. I agree the whole bass game is majorly over rated. I mean seriously, a sparkly bright colored boat, an up to 300HP outboard, 2 powerpoles, a flat screen TV depthfinder for where he sits AND one for when he's standing up front lol. Not to mention 15 $400 combos and at least 5 grand worth of tackle. LOL. I can take my kayak out to the marsh with a swimbait and a 1/4 oz jighead and catch fish that fight harder and taste better than a bass.

Blog Entries

I fish bass pretty much exclusively. I think it's good for a lot of people to have other options but most of the people, and I'm NOT saying ALL of the people, that get put off by it is that they are not always easy to catch.

You have to find them, find what they might hit at the time, etc. Sure, live bait makes it easier to catch them, makes ANY species easier to catch, but to consistently catch bass with artificial stuff made of wood and plastic is a challenge I don't get with lost other species.

Sure, reeling in a big cat is fun...outlasting 40 pound amberjacks is a blast...but not very challenging day in and day out for me.

Now, I have not caught a red, snook or weakfish on artificial a yet...would love to try it someday, and I'm sure there will be replies trying to debunk me...but truth is for me, and I've been around 53 years, bass are the one of the toughest fish to catch consistently, let alone limits, out of public waterways. Notice I said "public". Private waters are always easier to figure out than public...and that's pretty much a fact.

I've caught rainbows, Brookies and Browns...even with flies I tied myself growing up in the NW.

I've caught blues, wahoo, trout, shark, mackerel, amberjack...well, a host of salt fish up and down the east coast.

I've caught pretty much any freshwater fish in the US and Panama.

I do love to catch any fish, but for me, there has been no greater challenge than to put keeper bass in my boat consistently.

I don't ever want to get away from those bass fish! Hahahaha!

Anyway, this wasn't posted to start any arguments, just an alternative view point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

LM Bass are over rated.......imho the easiest of all freshwater fish to catch. If I go bass fishing, I catch bass. not so with other fresh water species. I put the highly rated LM and trout as the easiest to catch. I still love to Bass fish some but Cats Stripers, carp, bream is where it is at.
    Bluegill, and Swampin' like this.

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

But we are talking about fishing. Bass, Cats, Trout, Reds... to each their own. Dangle a cheeseburger in front of me, I'll bite.

I'll take one of those Sparkling Bass Boats with a 300 and twin poles poles. My dream boat would be a Ranger 520CI, but I know I'll never be able to afford it unless I hit the lottery. You bet, 85 mph over the water. We all have the same ending sooner or later.

I think the draw to me of bass fishing is how many techniques you can use to catch them. I love flounder fishing, but I only ever fish a jig with gulp or a swim bait for them. I love drum, but only use topwater and jigs. Striper are my favorite by far, but even so, I fish in three or four different ways. For bass I can crank, frog, buzz, jig, topwater, jerk bait, worm, shallow water, deep water, and a million other different kinds of fishing for them.

Everyone has their own favorite. It's like picking the best sports car or pick up truck. While I agree that LM fishing is overrated, a) I live near the coast and b) I never fish freshwater. My old man was stationed in Beaufort, SC for many years and never caught a Redfish, but landed a couple of 9lb LM from one of the rivers there. I was there for 3 years and never once fished freshwater, but caught plenty of Reds.

I have only caught a 1 - 2 lb LM, but would rather catch a smaller Smallmouth or Redfish over the LM. SM put up a great fight.

Blog Entries

A 1-2 lb LM isn't quite what I would judge the species on. Even at that, in my post, I am talking bass in general. I have no use for carp or gar or anything else that gets in the way of the bass! Hahaha!

Anyway, all fish are easier to catch in environments that aren't heavily fished. Private ponds, secluded rivers, creeks or other waters makes it easier to learn. My love is the public waters. Heavily pressured. Figure 'em out!

I figure if the pros who devote their lives to finding and catching bass can't get them all the time, they must be a pretty good target!

Just my thoughts...no one agrees on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

To me, when someone says fish (except as food) I think bass. In my opinion, they are the epitome of what wild nature is all about.
    Big cats are fun to catch, and red drum when they get some size can pull your arms out of joint! Heck, even big carp are bruisers that can drag your boat around. But bass are normally the top fish predator where they are found, a fish that smashes top water baits, that pulls and fights you all the way to the boat, never giving an inch.
    Look at the three major species. Smallmouth are aerial acrobats, that pull like mad and leap, turning somersaults, and making you earn the catch. Spots are aggressive tuggers, that charge and charge away from you. And largemouth invest the finer qualities of their relatives, sometimes bulldogging, sometimes launching themselves skyward.
    Nature has its ways. Bass are prey sometimes for fish like muskies, or flathead catfish. But trust me, I have seen pickerel and bowfin regurgitated in live wells after falling prey to big lunker largemouth.
    Maybe bass fishing is somewhat overrated. Maybe. But somewhere back in the dim recesses of the human psyche there is a reason bass are the most pursued species, and why more money is spent on pursuit of bass than any other species, especially the largemouth. And it ain't even close..
    JBassAssassin, lewisfishing, and OKSt like this.

How fortunate we are to have so many choices that we each get to do what we enjoy. Some like the serenity of an out of the way place where it's just you and nature, and some like the social aspect and competition of a big tournament setting. To each his own. We only have a short time, so I say do what makes you happy.
    derekp, Swampin', and ZachFaircloth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack in N.C. View Post
    LM Bass are over rated.......imho the easiest of all freshwater fish to catch. If I go bass fishing, I catch bass. not so with other fresh water species. I put the highly rated LM and trout as the easiest to catch. I still love to Bass fish some but Cats Stripers, carp, bream is where it is at.
    If I were writing such a statement, I'd have to say "if I go bass fishing, I might catch bass......maybe. I want to be able to catch them like you when I grow up.

A 4 pound smallie can tow a 10 pound catfish backwards until it freakin' drowns. Well, maybe a 6 pound flathead, but blues and channels don't fight worth crap. They're just heavy.
    OKSt likes this.

For me, the draw of bass fishing is that they can be found just about anywhere and that they are primarily targeted with artificial baits, as opposed to many other species that don’t nearly as readily take artificials. As someone who almost exclusively fishes from a kayak (by choice. I love it), having to tend to live bait seems like too much of a hassle.

That said, I have yet to make the 2 hour drive to the coast and try for some reds or trouts and I fear that when I do, I may give up bass fishing. Haha

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast