NC Angler Forums banner

Foam Fly Challenge

Tying 
10K views 67 replies 13 participants last post by  backlash 
#1 ·
Zooker's previous post gave me the idea for a Creative Challenge and that will be to start a thread of which would challenge you guys to create your best fly for a given category, pattern, or material used in the fly. Here's my first Challenge let's see how many different flies you guys can create using craft foam. They can be of any pattern (Beetle, Hopper, frog , crab, minnow) but foam must be used as the main ingredient of your tying recipe. Show us how creative that you can get.

My first and it doesn't get any simpler than this. Just some foam, rubber legs, a hook, and thread.

The Foam Hopper;

See less See more
#35 ·
hemi, I went back and could see the hackle. The bugs I tie with the Estaz Grande seem to heold too much water, and will submere when pulled. They will float back to the top, but slowly. I may give the hackle a try to keep my lies on the small side, ot downsize the hook.

#37 ·
I'll have to do that Scott. I have done that before, but was hoping this would work. That Estaz Grande looks so buggy. I added an extra bit of thin foam to that bug to see how that will work, but it makes it look bulkier. I will tie another one soon, with a smaller hook and a little more foam to see if it will work better. It has to be the Estaz holding so much water that causes it to submerge so easily. I want it to slide, and gurgle, over the water.

#42 ·
Scott, thanks for the tips. I can always use all I can get. Just got a new cable for my camera, so having to learn how to use it all over again. I took about 40 pics with it, before I lost that USB cable. Finally gave up, after looking everywhere twice, and bought a new one. Now, I am sure I will find the old one. I'll start posting pics soon. What is the best backgorund to use to keep light from reflecting back? The ones I had taken earlier had the glare to them, and I tried different backgraound materials. Got to go. I'll check back on this one later.

#47 ·
Dennis,

Saw in a book that a guy takes the cups from McDonalds and places like that that are made of foam. Cuts them into strips. Takes his needle and presses down in the foam to form a crease for the hook to sit in. Cut to fit your hook. Superglue it on and them wrap the estaz around that. Cheap and easy.

#51 ·
I tries a few things with my bugs because of them suspending, instead of floating. Shaving the bottm off the Estaz didn't seem to do much. I took one that I knew was worse than the others, and added some foam to it. Looks bad, but it works great, so I will add a little more foam to the ones I tie in the future. I got some great ideas from all you guys.

#56 · (Edited)
Dennis, Sorry it has taken me a while to respond. I haven't checked here recently. Both flies in my post are similar. The larger one has a bunny strip tail and the other is marabou. Tie on the tail. I occasionally will tie a rattle on the top of the hook shank and cover with a layer of poly yarn. Simply cut a strip of foam about the width of the hook gap. Poke a hole in the center and slip over the eye of the hook and then tie down with thread as in the pictures. Eyes and rubber legs can be added if desired. The fly acts more like a slider than a popper. The fish are a smallmouth bass and an overly ambitious bluegill.

Here is another picture from last week.

Keith

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.