NC Angler Forums banner

Foam Fly Challenge

Tying 
10K views 67 replies 13 participants last post by  backlash 
#1 ·
Zooker's previous post gave me the idea for a Creative Challenge and that will be to start a thread of which would challenge you guys to create your best fly for a given category, pattern, or material used in the fly. Here's my first Challenge let's see how many different flies you guys can create using craft foam. They can be of any pattern (Beetle, Hopper, frog , crab, minnow) but foam must be used as the main ingredient of your tying recipe. Show us how creative that you can get.

My first and it doesn't get any simpler than this. Just some foam, rubber legs, a hook, and thread.

The Foam Hopper;

See less See more
#59 ·
Finally got back to the bench for a while. Here's a couple of foam flies designed to be fished on a sinking line.

This is Skip Morris' Predator which is a Dragonfly nymph representation. It can be tied on a range of hook sizes. We have pulled Dragonfly nymphs from Lake Rim as long as a 1 1/2 inches. This is a great fly to fish around weeds and shore edges.

This is another Crease Fly. This is a little different in that I found some great tissue paper at the Dollar Tree to use as a covering giving the fly alot of flash.

#62 ·
Cool looking flies Tom! Good find with the Dollar Tree paper!

Dennis, I just match the size of the hook to the size of the bug. I do prefer to use short shanked wide gap "shrimp" hooks. One of my favorites is the Gamakatsue SC15. A bit expensive but a nice balance between wire thickness, gap, sharpness, and strength. For bas bugs, I really like to put a weed guard on also. Less worry casting it into the ugly stuff. Usually I use the double whisker type mono guards.

Keith

#64 ·
Been so busy with football and stuff haven't had time to tie any flies. Gonna need to schedule a day to come over and tie some with you Tom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.