NC Angler Forums banner

Foam Fly Challenge

Tying 
10K views 67 replies 13 participants last post by  backlash 
#1 ·
Zooker's previous post gave me the idea for a Creative Challenge and that will be to start a thread of which would challenge you guys to create your best fly for a given category, pattern, or material used in the fly. Here's my first Challenge let's see how many different flies you guys can create using craft foam. They can be of any pattern (Beetle, Hopper, frog , crab, minnow) but foam must be used as the main ingredient of your tying recipe. Show us how creative that you can get.

My first and it doesn't get any simpler than this. Just some foam, rubber legs, a hook, and thread.

The Foam Hopper;

See less See more
#14 ·
OK GUYS...HERE ARE SOME THAT I POSTED BEFORE WHICH ARE SOME OF MY BEST FLYS FOR PRODUCING GREAT RESULTS. THEY ARE THE DRAGON FLY POPPER....THE KERMIT, WHICH IS A POPPING FROG PATTERN, AND THE FLIP FLOP POPPER. THE FLIP FLOP IS A HARDER FOAM , BUT IS STILL NICE TO WORK WITH AND MAKES VERY DURABLE POPPERS.

Flip Flop Popper,fantistic action and a great catcher

#18 ·
Looks good Ed. do you have a video or something for the pink one and the silver one? Thanks. The pink one looks like a trim gim. Was my grandfather's go to fly for bass and panfish.

#21 ·
Denis it is actually called Backer Rod and it is use to fill large gaps and opening to prevent drafts. I think it is put in gaps before they are caulked. It comes in 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 I think inch.I think it was near the sheet rock.

#28 ·
Keith, I'd love to know a little about that fly you posted. What size hook did you use? Did you roll up some foam for the eays and then put the other foam around that rea looking fly. Also, what is that fish. It looks like a bluegill, but the hook looks a bit large for that. I know you do a lot of salt water fishing also. What do you call that fly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.