South Topsail Flounder

Thread: South Topsail Flounder

Default South Topsail Flounder

Thanks to Swampin' and Basswrangler for the info on Lea Island and South topsail in earlier reply to my request, much appreciated!

I enjoyed a week on South end of Topsail, stayed sound side on Banks channel and fished mostly from a dock and a few Kayak trips into the marsh. Managed to catch 9 Flounder with 4 keepers. Kayak trips were the best, what a great way to fish!

Best times were last hours before high tide, Flounder were caught just off Banks channel in small coves and I'd guess 4 to 6 feet of water. I tried further into marsh but had no luck, returned closer to the channel and started catching again. Anything resembling a minnow 3" on jig head seemed to work best, Gulp caught a lot of lizard fish, DOA baits seemed to avoid that and definitely lasted longer. I did try the surf a bit and one day on the pier, my Daughter and I both caught fish but nothing worth mentioning. The surf had some nice cuts and bowls here and there, but no major trough on the far south end like past years. Only other thing I'll mention is that I slowed down, both on the pop-pop-pop retrieve and I waited a little extra before setting the hook. That may be my inexperience, but I thought it worked better than past years...

Great trip and great fishing, thanks to all who share reports and advice on here, really helpful!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice looking flounder. I have that same yak except in tan. Glad you caught some fish!
    GreyGhost, and Meakle like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Nice fishing report and glad the info that was shared with you put you on some fish.
    Meakle likes this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks Swampin & Solo Skiff, Flounder was 18" so not a trophy but lots of fun to catch. Other 3 keepers were 16" and rest were 12" about. Most I have ever kayak fished, this Pelican is my first and did OK. Definitely need to upgrade seat for next time! Really appreciate the info on this area and all the good advice in general! Kayaking really opens up a whole new world of fishing as someone said in a recent post...

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Good report! glad you got on some fish! and that you enjoyed the yak fishing.

Darrell
    Meakle likes this.

Red X Angler

Glad you had some luck. Thanks for the report.
    Meakle likes this.

Great report! With the water temp in the 80's back in the marshes, I'm wondering if that is driving the flounder out closer to the intracoastal.
    dbeam, Meakle, and quest4reds like this.

Water temp makes sense and would explain. I was surprised to not find fishing farther in, some really ideal looking locations did not produce. I was going mid-day too so may have been at warmest time... Thanks for Pointing that out, I'll remember...
    dbeam likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements