NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back out the waterfowl impoundment on Stagecoach Road yesterday to do some fishing. Left work early, so I got out there nice and early (by my standards, which means about 4:30 PM or thereabouts). Interestingly nobody else was out there... not sure if that was due to the heat, or because of the big ass tree which is fallen down across the road coming down the dam on one side, or both, or something else.

Anyway... threw moving baits for a while (a small floating/diving crankbait, and a chatterbait mostly) hoping to land a bass. Nothing doing there, but I had brought some bait, so decided to setup a catfish rig and see what was happening there. Used some piece of boneless pork-chop and some pieces of cheap red hotdogs as bait. Got a bunch of bites but kept missing the hookup. Finally got one on the line, and got him in. Surprise, surprise, it was a species I've never caught before. My very first ever Bowfin!

Nothing to write home about, but it's always fun to catch a new species. True to their reputation, these fish do put up a pretty good fight relative to their size.

Anyway... that was it. The heat was oppressive and I was getting tired, so I called it quits fairly early.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They have a mouthful of sharp ass teeth...I landed a whopper off the bank of Jordan lake in December...am....it was warm...same as you.... had cat in my cross hairs....but this 11 lb mean trout took the bait and gave my new bass pro spinning rod and reel combo a run for it's money....39.95....and it held its own....thank god I had that spider line stuff for a leader...other wise he'd a chomped thru it for sure....
Good eatin meat too....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Whenever I hook into a bowfin there's always the first 20 seconds or so where I think "dude....this might be my biggest bass ever"....they fight so angrily lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts