NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out with some family friends today for a float&fish trip down the Neuse. The river had a little extra water and color from the rains last night, but not bad.

Josh got the first fish, big fish, and most well balanced kayak fisherman trophies for this one right off the bat:

The biggest excitement came when I heard a frantic commotion in the water behind me. I turned to cast into what I expected was a LM slaughtering minnows in the shallows and instead I saw a huge snake heading up the shore with a good sized catfish in his mouth. By the time the camera got out, the snake was up the hill in the weeds, patiently waiting for lunch to stop wiggling:

Cat was at least 10", and the snake was about 3" inches thick at his middle. I imagine that'll keep him fed for a while. Not sure I'd want to swallow those barbs tho...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
<low whistle>
I'm not gonna tell my wife about that snake....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jeff, what section of the river did you float? Falls to Capital? My GF and I did a Falls to Buffaloe Rd trip last year and had a blast. We saw a couple snakes swimming around too, but nothing as exciting as your experience!

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff, what section of the river did you float? Falls to Capital? My GF and I did a Falls to Buffaloe Rd trip last year and had a blast. We saw a couple snakes swimming around too, but nothing as exciting as your experience!
Yep - just falls to capital. We did catch about a dozen fish between us on plastic worms, beetle spins, rooster tails and a little yo-zuri minnow. The kids took plenty of oppty to get out of the kayaks and play in the water (I guess you can do that when you're already winning the fishing competition). We took about 3.5 hours just on that short leg, and still had to rush the last mile to meet our ride at the prescribed time. Could have spent a much longer day out there. I've heard good things about bass fishing in the river just upstream from Buffalo Rd - I may have to try putting in down there and working my way back up some time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.