NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out for some fishing earlier today on, you guessed it, New Hope Creek. Not down at Stagecoach Road though... mixed it up and went to another spot that I've long suspected would hold some largemouth bass. I would fish here more, but it's a bit out of the way and hard to access the water. As it was, I had to take a weeding sickle with me and cut a path down to the water to fish today.

It proved to be well worth the effort though. After catching two decent bluegill on the bobber and berkley power-bait crappie nibbles, I threw on a micro-crankbait and promptly caught a largemouth on my first cast. I would have stayed with the crankbait, but the fish really inhaled the bait and I bent one of the treble hooks pretty badly in the process of unhooking the fish.

Switched up to a Ned rig and promptly caught 4 more largies in the span of about 20-25 minutes, including two that came on back to back casts at one point. Definitely the most productive day I've had on New Hope Creek and maybe the most productive day I've ever had in terms of "number of LMB caught".

Now there was nothing impressive about these fish size wise. They were all approximately as big as the one seen below, modulo a few ounces one way or the other. I'd guess the biggest one went a pound a quarter at most.

Still, five LMB are nothing to sneeze at, and I suspect I will haul some bigger ones out of there in the future.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two more largemouth that came out of that same spot. Caught one on a Ned Rig Finesse TRD, and one on a Rapala floating jerkbait. Still nothing impressive size-wise, but I'm happy to finally feel some confidence that I can actually catch a largemouth bass every now and then. Last year was mostly pretty brutal in that regard. I think I caught more White Bass than Largemouth Bass last year. Not that there's anything wrong with White Bass...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
3,779 Posts
Nice job, you deserve some payoff as hard as you have stuck to it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts