NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photo 1: 11-6-14: Doing work in the morning at hot spot #5 with a 52 EC. I lost one nice sized one and landed these two. Going to give hot spot #6 a try this evening. This is the time of year that you can catch trout on foot.

Photo 2 11-7-14: So after a strong west wind I always seem to do good at lucky hot spot #7 so I headed out there this morning. Ruff surf while the tide was rising then it calmed down out some as it fell. I caught 6 trout keeping a 22 and 23 inch that bite a 52M13. They want the natural look today. I tossed back four in the 16~18 inch range. I think might try hot spot #6 or #9 this evening. Then again I might just head back to lucky hot spot #7.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nice work Tim. Are you working those 52s slow or fast? I got a wild hair about 2 years ago and dropped about 120$ on a large assortment of the 52 type baits in all sorts of designs and am yet to catch a single fish on them. I assume the trout are holding close to bottom so I am tempted to try and let the lure settle to bottom and give small twitches just enough to bring it up a foot or two.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work Tim. Are you working those 52s slow or fast? I got a wild hair about 2 years ago and dropped about 120$ on a large assortment of the 52 type baits in all sorts of designs and am yet to catch a single fish on them. I assume the trout are holding close to bottom so I am tempted to try and let the lure settle to bottom and give small twitches just enough to bring it up a foot or two.
If there is not much current you can work is slow other wise you need to work with the current. The good old twitch, twitch pause. Then reel in the slack and repeat. I vary the length of the pause until I start getting bite or I get too much slack in my line. I know I'm working it close to the bottom since I'm picking up flounder every once and a while.

Water Fin Fish Underwater Marine biology

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know I'm working it close to the bottom since I'm picking up flounder every once and a while.
Not to hijack the thread, but a couple weeks ago I caught a flounder in the river on an MR17. I could not believe that, until later I caught one on a topwater! Some hungry & confused flatfish.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, another thing is I mostly fish the top of the tides and the trout will move in close. One mistake I see people make is they wade in too far. I only stand in ankle deep water and when the wave comes in I might be knee deep. I always work the lures all of the way back. I've caught trout as close as 8.5 feet away from me and I use a 7'6 rod. I worked the lure back until there was two feet of line and it bite just as I was lifting the rod to make a cast. Good luck

·
Registered
642 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but a couple weeks ago I caught a flounder in the river on an MR17. I could not believe that, until later I caught one on a topwater! Some hungry & confused flatfish.
Catching flounder on an MR17 is actually pretty common. I caught one myself from the yak a few weeks ago while trout fishing. Topwater on the other hand is a bit more rare, but not surprised. I've seen them flip from the water in the shallows when attacking mullet.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Oh, another thing is I mostly fish the top of the tides and the trout will move in close. One mistake I see people make is they wade in too far. I only stand in ankle deep water and when the wave comes in I might be knee deep. I always work the lures all of the way back. I've caught trout as close as 8.5 feet away from me and I use a 7'6 rod. I worked the lure back until there was two feet of line and it bite just as I was lifting the rod to make a cast. Good luck
If you had to choose one model Mirrolure to use for surf trout fishing, what would it be? I never have trouble fishing them from a yak but I don't get the distance I need on the beach. Do you primarily use a heavier model mirrolure? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you had to choose one model Mirrolure to use for surf trout fishing, what would it be?
The all around trout killer for me in the surf is a 52MR. I do use some 18s and some 52M (none rattle) every now and again depending on what the current/water looks like. So if I had to choose one style it would be the 52MR. I also use a 7'6" rod rated at 1/4 to 1oz lure with 15 pound braid. I can cast those mirrolures a good distance with that setup.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks Tim! My dad lives in Hampstead so we have been giving it a go at Topsail. He's not one for tracking them down in Yaks but loves to cast gotchas in summer for spanish and blues from beach. We will have to throw some of the 52 series then since they are heavier. Still learning the art of picking good sloughs to cast to though!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We will have to throw some of the 52 series then since they are heavier. Still learning the art of picking good sloughs to cast to though!
Learning to find the right sloughs take a bit of practice. I like to find a nice slough that end with a good rip current off the beach. You won't notice that rip until the tide starts to fall. I'm lucky and I live on Topsail so during low tide I take a drive out to different spots to see how the sloughs change. So when I come back at high tide I know where I should be fishing according to where the slough will be forming that rip. The fish tend to hand around those rip currents waiting for bait fish to get pulled out to them. Work both side of that rip. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.