NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12-20-14 Fontana It just stays really good now on Fontana. There are fish bunched up as thick as you will ever see. Depending on what you like to do, it is available now. Trollers can target fish from the surface to 75-80 feet. We have been dropping small jigs on their heads in 40-65 feet of water. The key seems to be to downsize and slow down. There is so much bait the fish don't have to do more than open their mouth and suck in a shad so they aren't going to chase very aggressively. Many bites are hardly detectable so act like you are crappie fishing. Search small indentions next to main lake points, the bait moves in and out of these pockets with the fish not far behind. Our larger spots are laying on the bottom under the bait. You may mark fish like in the picture but the ones on the bottom are going to eat more quickly than the suspended fish. If you want to target eyes just move a little deeper, they are going to be around, just not right in the mass of spots. We have caught some of the largest whites lately so it takes the sting away of not having stripers here. Enjoy and Merry Christmas! Later, Capt. James

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Capt. James. Ditto on the bunched up. Went today (12/23) and don' t know if I ever caught more bass. When I started seeing fish down at 110' I thought I had found some walleye. Nope, just more and bigger bass. I was having trouble getting bites at first until I remembered your post about downsizing. I did and then it got really wild. Only two small walleye on this trip. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: gambusia

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I'm amazed the surface temp is so warm. Was that from this last trip or a previous image used for example?

Awesome fishing, and although I don't fish Fontana, I do appreciate your giving specifics on tactics to help aid others in narrowing the search a bit. If I ever fish up that way I will certainly look you up!

·
Registered
101 Posts
You'll get variations between units, where you are on the lake, time of day and amount of sunshine. I've ranged over the length of the lake in the last few days and my readings have run from 54-56.

Reactions: gambusia
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.