NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
We come across this all too often here around Falls. People think they can just go into the woods and target shoot. Many forget just how developed this and other areas are becoming here in NC.

As we are trained, you own that bullet from the time it leaves the barrel until the time it comes to rest. Anything and everything it touches in between is your responsibility. Hopefully my brothers there working the case will get the perp that is responsible.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Greg, how many people have been accidently shot at falls? How is everyone these days? :cool:
I actually meant the target shooting on gamelands without regard for knowing what was past their field of view. When I was on the falls lake trail, there were people who would target shoot on sections that were only 100 feet wide between the water and occupied houses (it's designated as a WRC archery zone). We were getting complaints all the time even though WRC managed most of the area (we just had a 200 foot corridor that passed through gamelands where the trail was located) since we were always seen out there. Now the trail is completely under WRC jurisdiction.

And occasionally I have idiots popping off rounds right here at my residence, usually while I'm still in bed.

We haven't had any accidental shootings, but a few years ago we had a couple of our rangers that were back in woodpecker ridge when all of a sudden shots rang out and they had bullets whizzing past them. They ducked for cover, called in for backup and ended up catching the guys that were shooting.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hope the kids ok,,

Kinda scary thought to use a gameland as a target area.. especially for hunters that scout pre-season.... I'm a hunter and I'd have a fit if someone was randomly target practicing.

True, be sure what your shooting at and a backstop of some type... but cant fix stupid..

·
Registered
840 Posts
Here we go again, in the news 12 yr old shot while fishing by a police officer trying to kill a snake in a tree. Common sense must be fading in today's world. Doesn't make sense. What a shame!
Yeah, I saw this last night. What in the **** was this officer thinking? I don't like to second guess other officers until the facts are out, but there is absolutely no excuse for attempting to fire a weapon at a snake.

We get guys in our parks sometimes that are packing .22 pistols. When we ask them why they have them, most all of them say "Oh that's for the snakes." Trying to shoot a snake thats only 1/2 - 1 inch wide snake (even if they are 8 feet long) with a .22 or, heck, even a .45. a'int gonna happen unless you have the gun up to its body and if you're that close, you ought to get bit!

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I don't understand why someone would be shooting a gun somewhere like that this time of the year anyway.
i have a custom built range behind my mom's house.. the chickens are well conditioned they do't even flinch anymore when i let go with my 50.. i shot regularly at this range..

I would think they made snake-shot for a reason!
yep 22 rat shot will take the MEAN out of a snake REAL quick.. i use 9mm or 44 rat shot my self.. oh yeah even shot at close range rat shot will NOT penetrate plywood flooring..though the snake will look like ya drop a cinder block on his head..

zooker

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
We get guys in our parks sometimes that are packing .22 pistols. When we ask them why they have them, most all of them say "Oh that's for the snakes." Trying to shoot a snake thats only 1/2 - 1 inch wide snake (even if they are 8 feet long) with a .22 or, heck, even a .45. a'int gonna happen unless you have the gun up to its body and if you're that close, you ought to get bit!
Yeah, but calf-high boots don't match the ensemble as well!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have a custom built range behind my mom's house.. the chickens are well conditioned they do't even flinch anymore when i let go with my 50.. i shot regularly at this range..

yep 22 rat shot will take the MEAN out of a snake REAL quick.. i use 9mm or 44 rat shot my self.. oh yeah even shot at close range rat shot will NOT penetrate plywood flooring..though the snake will look like ya drop a cinder block on his head..

zooker

I'm right there with ya zooker. I wasn't raised around guns but I sure knew the basics: Always treat any gun as if it was loaded and be aware of your surrounding (including what is behind you).

Now I have my CCH and I go to the range, not middle of the woods, and practice regularly.

As a side note: I really could use spell check. For a soon to be college grad I couldn't win a 5th grade spelling bee.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
As a side note: I really could use spell check. For a soon to be college grad I couldn't win a 5th grade spelling bee.
Some of those 5th graders are awful sharp... Besides, this is The Internet, spelling credit counts in reverse here. I still chuckle about all the folks who love their Hobie kayaks so much they can't wait to sell ('peddle') them again. That's gotta be about 60% of them...

Reactions: wolfpackcpa

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Oh, so that's where the red squigglies keep coming from. I mean "squiggliest". I mean "squigglier". I mean "squiggles". Aw nuts-- <add to dictionary>.

Chuckle -- that illustration worked much better than I intended...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
4 ft copperhead in my back yard saturday.. told my boy to stay away from the ditch out back.

Ticks and snakes definately on the prowel right now.. neighbor got a nasty tick bite (went to the hospital).

Shotgun (410) or .22 with rat shot (they sell rounds at Walmart - CCI's), would be a much better dispatch weapon than a single projectile round.. buckshot, rat shot would be my choice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.