NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brother came into town for the weekend and since I sold my boat I was scrambling to find rental of either a boat or kayak. I called all the normal places and could not find anything I was told by the staff at lake wheeler that they were not renting boats for the foreseeable future do to staff shortages and they are only open 5 days weak for the same reason.

I managed to find a friend who had a canoe. This was a challenge to fish out of a canoe my brother is getting up in age ;) and he doesn’t have the best balance( it sucks getting old)

we went out on Friday around 2 and fished until 5. We didn’t have much luck. we did have the craziest thing happen he was throwing top water ( he loves top water and will throw it all day long) he hooked into a really nice one over by the spill way and it broke him off and then a few minutes later about 10 feet from the canoe the bass jumped out of the water and spit out his hula popper it was the craziest thing. It was like he was insulting us by spitting it out at us

That was all the action for Friday. Saturday started off shaky at the ramp when my brother was getting in the canoe and he almost flipped it. So now he was really unsure of fishing out of a canoe. I ended up playing guide for most of the day and doing all the paddling to keep the canoe in the correct position for the best chance of catching something. I don’t mind he doesn’t often get a chance to get big fish like we do in the lakes by his house. I mean 5 lbs in his lake is a giant and I feel that’s an okay fish here

I managed to put him on a nice one 5 lbs and yes he got it on top water. in the picture below you can see how nervous he was on being in The canoe that he wouldn’t turn fully around for the picture. I managed to get two small ones when he was busy untangling his line the best one is below.

the day ended off crazier then it started we were way back under the bridge when that storm blew in you can image the panic he was in when the thunder and lightning started and we had to paddle all the way back to the ramps

need less to say I don’t think he will come again to fish unless I have secured a boat for us to use.

still a fun day on the lake and I made a lot of memories with my brother who I don’t get to see that often

tight lines

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good on you guys fishing together. I used to golf and bowl with my brother. Time got in the way along with families, work, etc. We stopped doing those kind of things. He eventually became ill and died when he was 53. I still miss him even after 18 years of his passing.

~JOE~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts