NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a boston whaler dauntless 13 at holden beach. I went out on a charter last year fishing for spanish and the captain told me I should bring my boat out and do the same-- which I did. We've been out a few times out of lockwood folly inlet and gone up and down the beach trolling for spanish and kings. We catch mostly spanish, but a few kings. We troll right outside of the tide line.

Now I'm wondering what should be my limits. I've got charts that show AR 460 (I think) about 3-4 miles out and Christina's Ledge not too much farther than that. I really want to catch some mahi and bigger fish. How far out should I take this boat?

Here are some (potentially irrelevant) considerations:

- We carry flares, whistles, fire extinguisher, life jackets
- We currently just make sure our cell phones have signals
- We don't have a VHF radio, but I may get one
- Engine has never left me stranded
- I know this engine and boat from top to bottom; can fix basic issues on the water
- The boat has more freeboard than a lot of small boats I've seen
- Adventurous, willing to take calculated risks, but don't want to be a burden on others

Questions:

- How much would it cost for either seatow or the coast guard to rescue or tow me from 5 miles out?
- Is there anything specific (besides the obvious) in weather reports I should really look out for?
- What am I not considering?
- Is there a classification or term for idiots like me? ;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
- Is there a classification or term for idiots like me? ;)
"Wiser than many" comes to mind... you're discussing the topic, rather than just charging off and getting into trouble.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thats a risky thing your talking about I don't even take my 20' Skiff dlx that far out on anything more than a " lake calm" day.

KMC

·
Registered
163 Posts
You are pretty much pushing the limits just going out of the inlet. However it looks as if you have done a good job at that. Im not suggesting anything out of the inlet but if you are make sure its not right in between tide changes. Im not sure I would try it, as far as three miles, but if you think you can then you must get a vhf radio. You were asking about Seatow but if you cant call them in a timely manor then they cant help.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
This is an example of your classic adventure seeking personality. Take that baby to Bermuda! I would be cautious on that boat out of the inlet.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Out the inlet :eek:

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
With your appetite for adventure there is only one solution: at least 7' more of boat. 10' more would be great. You've got the bug and want to get out there. Now it's time to budget for a bigger boat.:D

Reactions: drjon

·
Registered
34 Posts
jimbeamii said it perfectly but if you want my "2 cents" a 13foot boat has no business outside the inlet on any day! You are a brave man!! But do yourself a favor and get a vhf radio, you can pic one up with an antenna for about 100-150 bucks and remember no fish is worth your life!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I agree with most here. You are taking a big risk even going out the inlet on a 13' boat of any kind. I would suggest that you do two things
first buy a good life insurance policy
second buy a membership in sea tow or tow boat us.
because if you continue to go out in a small boat you ARE going to need one or both of the above.
I have been around the coast for over fifty years and I would NOT go out in any thing smaller than my 19' and that only on a very calm day.
Do yourself and your family a favor and trade it in for at least a good 20' or larger boat.
Just remember: YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO SAFE !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We tried to take it out Saturday. Came out of lockwood folly inlet and the guy running the dredge gave us a real funny look.

Didn't do much fishing. We had quite an adventure bailing water and getting drenched however.

We check the buoy data when we came back in. 4 ft seas. Lesson learned.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd say make some friends with bigger boats, learn the backwaters well with yours and start trading trips!! Queens Creek would love your 13' er..

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Lots of areas around your neck of the woods for fishing. Your boat will be good in and around the marshes.

Not in the inlets or out to sea....its not if you get stranded or flipped....its when you do...

Sea Tow to go out to get you....$1000 dollars....get a subscription for a year with Sea Tow for about $150...it
will cover the tow and many more if you need them....:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My father, who is a self-diagnosed boat-buying addict, heard about our misadventure and subsequently bought a 2001 Mckee Pulse 1800. We'll keep the whaler for the lake, but I don't think it'll ever see saltwater again.

I figure the new boat will be safe in the 5-10 mile range. Now I just need to learn how to fish ;) Not much luck thursday or saturday trolling off the beach for spanish/king.

A question-- This is my first experience with VHF radio. I was surprised how little activity I heard. We just stayed on channel 16 and heard nothing about fishing, and only a short exchange every 20 minutes or so. I saw this thread that said something about 68-69:

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f3/vhf-channel-14325.html

Whats the best strategy for scanning for fishing talk? Seems if people only speak up every 20 minutes or so, it'll be difficult to find the channel by scanning...

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Crazy - most new VHF radios can scan. You may need to select the channels you want to scan, e.g., 68-72, which are the channels you generally hear boat-to-boat chatter on. On my radio I "memorize" channels that I want to scan. 16 is reserved for emergency-type calls.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts