NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the afternoon on the Haw River throwing a 3/8 oz Strike King spinner in search of some early season Large Mouth. When this dude hit it I was sure it was a nice Large Mouth. Much to my surprise when it came to the surface it turned out to be this fine Crappie, my personal best at 15 1/2”, just 1/2 shy of a NCARP citation. Since I didn’t have a scale I don’t know the exact weight. The current NC state record is 1 lb 13 oz and this one may have been close but it was way too nice a fish to kill just only to weigh so back in the water she went - maybe next time I’ll bring along a scale. I only came up with one LM around 16” but it was a still a great day on the water.

Freshwater Fishing White Crappie

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 15 1/2" White Crappie - Personal Best

That's a hog.

I look at that pic and think black, not white crappie. Is that just the variance in their color due to environment/water clarity?
In all fairness (to the fish) it has features of both (hybrid), I just named it white because it only had 6 dorsal spines - black usually have more (7-8). This ones spot pattern does more resemble the irregular spot pattern of the black yet has some resemblance of a striped-spot pattern in the mid-belly region.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bread Man,N.C did not separate Blacks from Whites in record keeping until just recently.Lots of anglers caught bigger fish than the current record.Many more will break the record as it word gets out and people register their catch officially.yak4fish I must respectfully disagree with you because Whites get bigger than Blacks,although they are very close.in almost all states that keep records,the record for Whites are larger as is the world record fish.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yak4fish I must respectfully disagree with you because Whites get bigger than Blacks,although they are very close.in almost all states that keep records,the record for Whites are larger as is the world record fish.
Respectfully taken and thanks - made me do some research. I'd always heard and been told of that as a youth, maybe just because the whites caught were always smaller than the blacks?

Looks like the current NC record white won't hold for much longer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.