NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
She must not have liked it in there, less than 3 hours later she was back in the ocean

·
Registered
247 Posts
Found this so interesting that I had to do a little math, looks like the most direct path between the ping at Pamlico River (10:48AM) and the first ping east of the beach (1:41PM) is just over 60 miles. She averaged 20+ mph across the sound.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Found this so interesting that I had to do a little math, looks like the most direct path between the ping at Pamlico River (10:48AM) and the first ping east of the beach (1:41PM) is just over 60 miles. She averaged 20+ mph across the sound.

I'm pretty sure she didn't do a b line(not exactly b line but..) towards open water at 20mph! Now I'm getting the feeling of FAKE shark! Think about it.... And I'm going off of the info you have given and no other info....

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went to the website and checked out the track. To get the distance, I tried to duplicate the points where the GPS trackers pinged the system in Google earth where I used the measure tool to identify what appeared to be the straightest possible path (she couldn't have crossed the island). My track came out to be 61 miles. I'm seriously doubt that she used that exact path. The timestamps from her tracker were just under 3 hours apart (2 hours 53 minutes in fact). Rounding the time up to 3 hours and distance down to 60 miles made the math easy. The website apparently tracks several other sharks as well.

Here is a link to her history, they have been watching her since August 2013: http://www.ocearch.org/profile/katharine/

·
Registered
768 Posts
I went to the website and checked out the track. To get the distance, I tried to duplicate the points where the GPS trackers pinged the system in Google earth where I used the measure tool to identify what appeared to be the straightest possible path (she couldn't have crossed the island). My track came out to be 61 miles. I'm seriously doubt that she used that exact path. The timestamps from her tracker were just under 3 hours apart (2 hours 53 minutes in fact). Rounding the time up to 3 hours and distance down to 60 miles made the math easy. The website apparently tracks several other sharks as well.

Here is a link to her history, they have been watching her since August 2013: http://www.ocearch.org/profile/katharine/

That's pretty cool! I still find it hard to believe she averaged 20MPH for 3 hrs........ which I'm no shark expert either.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yeah makes me think there was some computer glitching involved
I'd say so...

They have strong, torpedo-shaped bodies and powerful tails that help them swim. Great whites can reach speeds up to 24 km/hr (15 mph). Great whites use their speed and coloring to help them hunt. They search for prey at the surface of the ocean while swimming below.
[h=3]Great White Shark Facts[/h]www.animalfactguide.com/animal-facts/great-white-shark/

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could you imagine walking in waste deep water putting out duck decoys and having that swim by you?
it happens in the ocean, i surf, had a few close calls. i watched one , had to be in the 14 to 16 foot range cruise 150 -200 yards off ocracoke beach for a couple miles. i stayed ahead of him in my truck and warning people. was quite an experience seeing one that big for that long

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.