NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 16 foot Cobia 154 and am planning on taking it down to Wrightsville real soon. I was just wandering about how far out I could go on it in search of some nice Spanish and Kings? Thanks and good luck next time your out fishin'!

·
Registered
22 Posts
We took one out 5miles to the Box cars off Carolina Beach and it started white caping and had to go south and back via the ICW. But did manage a Trout on a Fly. We got in to spanish before we went to the Box cars just past the breakers.

I was with a buddy who use to live there but he sold the boat and moved
Now I'm back to the surf. But I'm glad I had the chance to do it once

If not for the white caps the 16' did ok
Mstash

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the boat set up for rough water is it self bailing, to me that is the most inportant part. I have been to the tower in a 17ft boat that is 48 miles from the lockwood folley inlet, but the weather was just right. I have been 75 miles offshore in a 29 C-Halwk and i now have a 21 walkaround and it has been 61 miles offshore. You just have to look at all the weather check web sites and listen to the weather chanels on you VHF and see what the weather is going to do for you. Just remember the more miles behind you the better chance you have for pop up storms. I am big on safety and have all my and have all the equipment (VHFon board and a handheld, GPS onboard and handheld, Life Jackets are keep in new like condition and I have a EPIRB.) These things I dont leave home without. You will have to find your own confort level as to how far offshore you go. Just take it one step at a time dont get in a hurry. Hope this helps you
Barry

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Barry, Excellent advice, I want to add there's another place you don't want to get caught in a small boat during one of those pop up storms, that's the Pamlico Sound. About 10 years ago I left Ocracoke one afternoon in a 24ft. as I left Silver Lake I could see a small squall developing way off in the west. I thought I could out run it back to Atlantic. Was I ever wrong, half way between Ocracoke and Cedar Island, it struck, winds were approx. 60mph waves 5 to 6 ft. not an extremely high wave for the ocean, but they are only about 1 sec. apart in the sounds. You are over one and through or under the next; this goes on for about 30 min. Two below deck builge pumps running wide open and self bailing. Without self bailing , I'm sure my boat would be on the bottom right now. These kind of situations will make firm believers of your safety advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am big on safety myself. I will be launching from the ramp by the drawbridge at Wrightsville. Been through both the inlets right there but don't know the names. Either of you two know by chance? Anyway they get pretty choppy which was another concern of mine, but I should hold up. And do you think a 94 Cobia would have self bailing? I know it has an auto bilge but thats it. And to go on the open waters a handheld VHF will do right? Had more to say but can't remember right now so I'll post up later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was looking on my water map and it looks like masonboro inlet is to the south and mason is to the north. My maps are old and they could have changed the names. I run out of Carolina Beach inlet or the Lockwood Folly and have done this for years. Here is a web site that has the Artificial Reefs on it.
http://www.ncfisheries.net/reefs/index.html
Cape lookout to Cape Fear will give you the Reef Buoy coordinate for that area, and this might help you get on some fish.
As far as self bailing look for drains at the back of the floor or drains on the transom This could be a plastic bung in the floor with a pipe to the transom. Or just holes through the transom with rubber flaps on them. Good luck hope this helps
Barry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I'll tell you guys something. I started fishing on my own boat in 1968 and my friend Kenny had a 16' boat and he took us out past the inlet, not far mind you, and all I saw was a WALL of Water all around us as I looked up :eek: and then we were at the Top of the wave and then the bottom. Kenny was in the Navy and thought it was funny, I told him to get his chasie in gear and get us back into the sound. This took place when I lived on Long Island, NY. I respect the water and like to see LAND :D when I am boating. I was in the Air Force and in Nam which, was ok, But, the Ocean is another story. Enjoy your fishing trips and the best of luck to you . Where can I find the cartoons I see here, the fish hook etc. Al

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AL, To get one of the cartoon things (an avatar) just go to User CP, then click on Edit Avatar which is on the left side. From there you can pic from many different avatars or just create one of your own. Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.