NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16 year-old non-swimmer dropped his cell phone in the water while shore fishing & jumped in after it. Found himself in big trouble. 2nd non-swimmer fisherman from the same party went in after him, almost drowned himself. 3rd fisherman from another party managed to keep the 2nd above water using his rod, but unable to help the 1st.

The victim and the 2nd man in were part of a mentoring program for Durham teens through HHS. Unimaginable.

Fisherman Tried to Save Drowning Teen :: WRAL.com
newsobserver.com | Durham teen drowns in lake

Apparently one of 3 different drownings in central NC over the last couple days.

Thanks be to God that the third fisherman nearby, able to help, and that only 1 died in this situation. Sounds like it could have easily been at least 2 more. Prayers of condolence out to the family of the youngster, to the surviving mentor, and to the witnesses.

There are definitely lessons to be learned here and additional things to consider as we go out this summer...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
please PLEASE!! If you or someone you are with cannot swim, PLEASE have a suitable PFD available. A simple flotaton cushion that can otherwise be used for a seat cushion on a basket or bucket could have saved a life! Not to mention the new flotation vests are light and comfortable and cheap!
Don't be embarassed to admit if you cannot swim. We dont grow up playing in ponds and swimming in rivers like we used to so many people, especially younger, can't swim. You local YMCA/YWCA can teach you for free or close to it !!!
Please be careful, and be responsible for everyone you carry along....

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
As someone who's two passions coincide in this story (kids and sports activities) this truly hurts me. I don't swim myself either, never learned how even though I went through red cross course 3 times as a kid and young adult. I can't master the whole floating thing. On the day you sink I'm the best!! I try to keep a PDF near me when I go out and don't go far from it. This is very sad and makes me consider some things I will ask the kids who have asked me aobut fishing over the summer. I was going fishing tonight but before I left school I saw this article and didn't feel like it anymore.

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
464 Posts
I read that in on the fay.observer 's site today. It is very sad. I read that the kid swam to the retaining wall but was covered in algea and couldnt get a grip anyone know where they would be fishing to do that?

If all else fails doggy paddle works good.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that the kid swam to the retaining wall but was covered in algea and couldnt get a grip anyone know where they would be fishing to do that?
It was near a bridge at the upper end of Falls Lake - there's a couple spots like that on the lower end where the old bridge foundation that used to cross the river just sticks up out of the water right next to the new bridge that was raised when they Dammed the lake back in the 80s. The concrete goes down at about a 45 degree angle. That's what the pic looked like anyway.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It is a terrible story, especially since the young man was with his mentor through some sort of program for troubled youths. That is what the N&O reported. I just pray that the mentor will be able to recover mentally as well as for the grief of loved ones.

Thanks for posting Jeff.

Mark

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I hope the kids family isn't tacky enough to make this a legal issue as well. It will damage all of the programs that exist to mentor kids... that would be a shame...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Sundrop- That's a good possibility but I certainly hope not. It is a terrible tragedy and I feel for the family. I hope that the mentor is receiving some sort of support as it would be equally difficult for him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.