NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1964 13' Whaler (you can read about it here) and was excited but then I spotted this 1991 model on craigslist for a song. I replied first at 1:00 am to the post. I'm not even telling what I paid because I feel like I stole it.

2.5 hour beautiful drive to backwoods Virginia (and dealing with a VERY kind seller), and I am on the way back with this one:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The motor is a 1967 20HP Johnson. It runs great but at this point it's my main point of concern (though nothing major)

-need to add a kill switch
-may be a little underpowered
-tiller is pretty hard to reach
- no electric start and can't recharge onboard battery

I would just swap it out for the 25hp and steering system from the other 1964 Whaler, but that one is a short shaft (old body style has a dip in transom) and this one requires a long shaft. Found myself googling "extending shaft length on a Johnson" and lots of google hits came up, along with a few snickers from my inner pre-teen mindset.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other plans for the boat:
Wire in a switch panel for lights, bilge, fishfinder
Trolling motor mount
Maybe a grab rail (but they are pricey.) I have small children though, and I feel like it could help them and my wife have something to grab on to sturdy themselves, and add a few more inches required for a "man overboard" to take place.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the only wiring I can find for the bow light came from a small plugged hole in the stern (common for this model) but I can only get a loop to come out of the hole. There is no end of the wire. Before I cut this and try to wire it up, am I missing something?? What is the other end of the wire going to? There is no stern light on the boat.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Fred you have two Whalers so you will need to park one at my house to leave room for momma's mini van. What are friends for right? Glad I could help a brother out. That's a beauty for sure. Never sell that one ever! I'm going with Burris rings on the 39A by the way----they look sweet and are my favorite rings anyway. I was glad to find out they would bolt on. You should go with me fishing Friday. Mack and fishwhisperer and fishincary are all too scared to fish big water for big fish in a little boat.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Nice whaler fred, how you doing bud?? Long time no see, that boat looks almost like one me and my pops did a complete refurb on right before he sold it out from under me:rolleyes: Anyways, hope you and the fam doing great bro!!

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Great looking boat. One of my friends used to have one of those many years back, and If I am not mistaken, he had a 65 hp engine on it. It was over powered, but he went out of sight of land out into the ocean fishing with that boat, and went many times on it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred you have two Whalers so you will need to park one at my house to leave room for momma's mini van. What are friends for right? Glad I could help a brother out. That's a beauty for sure. Never sell that one ever! I'm going with Burris rings on the 39A by the way----they look sweet and are my favorite rings anyway. I was glad to find out they would bolt on. You should go with me fishing Friday. Mack and fishwhisperer and fishincary are all too scared to fish big water for big fish in a little boat.
The 1964 is listed on craigslist now. You can have it in your driveway real fast with a little bit of cash! lol The wife is pretty happy having two boats and a monster truck in the yard right now. I'm storing this beast for a surprise graduation gift to a cousin (from his Dad, not from me!)

Nice whaler fred, how you doing bud?? Long time no see, that boat looks almost like one me and my pops did a complete refurb on right before he sold it out from under me:rolleyes: Anyways, hope you and the fam doing great bro!!
Man, that's just wrong of your Dad! They are really cool little boats. Yeah, the family is great. I hope you are doing great too!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may find that foam filled beast is going to be nearly impossible to pass wire thru. NO more often than it used you may want to just go with battery powered lights. Stern light https://www.easternmarine.com/fulto...-clamp-48pwr?gclid=CKq3j6nl-70CFZJj7AodGCIAEQ

bow light http://www.boatersland.com/bts5-51277.html?gclid=CJaK7L7l-70CFZJj7AodGCIAEQ
I know that wire I posted a pic of above is for the bow light...... I just want to be sure I'm not messing up when I cut the loop. Where could the other end (opposite of the light) possibly be going?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I was just looking at the picture and thinking about what Drop said. They might have run that so the owner can place a bow light there? Is it wires for power or wires to fish wires through the foam? Maybe if they are power wires the other end is taped to itself??
Not sure what else it could be for, just thinking outside the box

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'll take the Whaler on consignment (inside joke) the truck is what you give someone you want to ruin financially.....all in all a very practical gift. That thing should get 26 maybe 27 mpg on the highway?...................................LOL

I just hope Mack does not see this....he will be in major hot water trying to explain why he needs one to haul a 10/32 jon boat. He sure don't need it to haul any deer he ever kilt.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a video of the first ride on the new boat with my 4 year old. Do you guys think he liked it? Haha
http://youtu.be/H4PgyZ1huVI

I hear ya Steve. Consignment, lol.

Strange thing happened tonight. The first original private owner of my 1964 Whaler contacted me tonight after spotting the ad on Craigslist. He gave me the whole back story on the boat. It was originally a Hickory Fire and Rescue boat when new. Then his family enjoyed it for years. He had put some of the old decals on himself and the boat still had the same registration numbers. He sold it well over a decade ago. Small world.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Looks like you have a 1st mate for your boat now. If that is a 20 hp outboard, it looked like it was pushing the boat well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I upgraded the old Johnson to a 1994 Yamaha 25 and the boat screams now! We were down in Oak Island last week and ran about 70 miles total in the Cape Fear and down the ICW to Lockwood Folly inlet.

My 4 year old is pretty stoked, even though the fishing was pretty weak!

These truly are fantastic little boats for anyone looking for something small. Trailers with ease. When docked, you can leave the plugs out and it' self bailing. It was eating up the wakes from big boats, cargo ships, and ferry boats like a champ.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I still have my 1971 McKee 14 sitting in the back yard 1/2 done, well more like 10% done now since it has sat so long..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made some upgrades!!!

I made some upgrades to this little boat, and boy I am happy. I really took my time and tried to do it right over the last few weeks. Snapped a few pics yesterday as I was getting everything installed. Let me know what you think.

Bimini Top
Swiveling Tempress all weather captain's seat
Mahogany console (I used the old school push/ pull switches. I love the classic look of these!)
Fuse Block/ Circuit Breaker
Bilge Pump
Navigation Lights
VHF radio
Fishfinder
Courtesy lights
On-board dual bank charger (no pics yet of that)

The only thing I need now is a really nice bow mounted trolling motor ($$$$$ :eek:)
The beach chair in the last pic is only on board in case one of my little boys decides to take a nap. I don't leave it in there full time when grown ups are fishing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts