NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better looking half and I launched Sat. from Maple Cypress and motored over to Pitchkettle Landing. Tied up right in the turn and went to fishin. Had several strikes and 5 hookups which resulted as follows: 3 pulled off at the boat, 1 broke the line and the only 1 boated is pictured. Saw another boat catch a few so its safe to say shad are movin in! Wife was throwing dart/spoon and I fished double curly tail grubs white/yellow with pink heads. Both produced strikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I'm a newbie to NC. What's the appeal of the shad? Why will the ramps fill? How long does this generally last? The shad I'm used to talking about are often smaller in size and accidentally snagged and rarely caught intentionally except for those who use them as live bait for stripers

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
So I'm a newbie to NC. What's the appeal of the shad? Why will the ramps fill? How long does this generally last? The shad I'm used to talking about are often smaller in size and accidentally snagged and rarely caught intentionally except for those who use them as live bait for stripers
One big difference you'll notice here as compared to Glendale area is that our river beds actually have water in them. I do enjoy some of your lakes out that way. Have had a blast fishing Pleasant, Saguaro, and Bartlett. Hope you enjoy North Carolina. I think shad fishing is popular for several reasons. Wild fish that have traveled to the North Atlantic to feed and grow are returning to the rivers and creeks to spawn. The wildness of such a fishery attracts many of us, and as a harbinger of spring it represents the beginning of some great fishing to come for many species throughout the state.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks guys! I can't wait to get out there to see the diversity of your waterways. I won't get to fish much this spring and summer because of the new store opening but soon enough I'll be hitting the lakes, rivers, maybe even some intercostal waterways. Crabman00 are you from AZ too?

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Brian, the thread on Shad 101 is on the 2nd page, in about the middle of the page, when you put "shad" in the search box. Scott Hobbs is the original poster. Hope this helps.
Forgot to say, welcome to NC, and to ncangler.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Crabman00 I thank your son-in-law for his service to our country. I know many pilots (several retired) and have sold a few boats to and fished with several these guys as well. I've heard many stories of sacrifice with their family and losing best friends while in combat. I have high level of respect for those who serve and have served our country and for their family.
RouseD. Not seeing the spot your sending me to on my cell. I might need to login on a computer???? Thank you all for helping me out. I'm not in NC yet but will be soon. I need to work a boat show here first at the end of the month and then I'm headed east!

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Brian, just bought my 1st smart phone yesterday, so not familiar yet with looking up things on ncangler. There are other here who could help with that. I used my laptop to find that thread. I think crappie89 has it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.