NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather had us concerned about Saturday, but we saw a window of opportunity for in the morning so... decided to stay a "go" with the trip offshore out of Wrightsville.

Sun seemed to come up unusually early when we launched and sky was overcast and the winds had started to pick up as we were making our way to the inlet, inlet wasnt too bad so we decided to run on out, but knew then the stream trip was out.. so we made some quick calculations and decided to run with plan "B".

Waves were stacking up pretty good the further we went, no backs to them and pretty close interval,, so we ran a wee bit more throttled down than normal, as I had a crew of myself and 5 guys. Safety kill switch lanyard attached, life jackets on, and a cautious speed... and we were off for our day of adventure!

Half way to our destination to give the guys a bit of a rest and try the early morning (before the sun breaks the horizon bite), we drop'd lines to try out luck over some known bottom structures and wrecks.... trolled for about an hour and nada... so packed it back up and ran some more. 'Bout 5 miles out from our final destination, plan was to troll into it and give some time for us to make up some bottom rigs as we knew the stream all day trolling was out of the question for sure.

Coming in at about a half mile out.... Zing!!!! Mahi on ;) took the pressure off us and from then we could relax as we knew the day wasnt gonna be a bust

As we came in over our destination, Zinnnnggg! And our lucky green horn (first ever offshore trip) was the next guy up, though it was a barracuda, Todd was pretty exciting as he mentioned the largest fish he's ever caught was a brim! :eek:
Todd, you did a great job fightin that fish! ;)

Decided to give the trollin thing a chance since it wasn't that bad seas wise, nice warm blue water and already had picked up two knock downs... so the concensus was let's troll.

Well.... trollin... trollin.... trollin.. and just thinkin that maybe it should be time to hit some bottom before the weather got really bad on us... Zinggggg! MAHI!
Marty was able to put a short fight on this nice eater!

We trolled a little more, but got looking at the south area from us and the clouds started to look pretty ugly, we had rain north of us and to the east of us and the winds were variable,, so I made the call to hit the bottom to boat some fish before we had to call it and run in due to the weather. Though the trolling did boat fish... the guys reluctantly agreed to hit an area for some bottom tuggin.

First line in the water was an instant hookup.. Red groupah!

From then on out the guys boated grey grunts, pink pogies, vermillion snappah's (one of which made a pretty impressive escape! :rolleyes:, trigger fish and one scamp groupah. Plenty of non stop action for an hour or so, then the bite simply died. Could've been because of the remora's that moved in and a couple small sharks that were caught... so we pulled up anchor and headed to another spot literally hundreds of yards away... then it was "game on" again!

All in all, it was a excellent trip for us. I had the pleasure of having Marty, Buckshot, Randall, Dennis and Todd out on the decomissioned Size 9. Was a great feelin to get the boat all bloodied up again too! :D Though we didnt limit out on one specific type fish, we managed to catch alot of different variety. The coupe 'de gra was when the weather forced us to head for home, but knowing mahi were in this one certain area,, we decided to throw lines out for one last troll before leaving deep water and Bzzzzzzz, King Mac! (on a Yozuri Black/Purple Bonita lure.... no less! Ahem...) ;):D:rolleyes:

Though riding into the sea's head on goin out was a little uncomfortable... the following seas were a fairly easy ride back in and were definately gettin a little "taller"
We made great time gettin back in before the rain finally hit us and packed up to head for home.

Since everyone was whoop'd and we didnt feel like butcherin fish in the dark, we kept them on ice and hit them first thing this morning... was a nice feelin to end up with a 120 somethin quart cooler filled half way up with fillets! We split the catch evenly between us 6 and talked about when we goin out for the next trip!

Though we made the calculated risk and guaged it as we went,, I feel we did ok for playin it "ol school" on the navigation.... So yeah, it's nice to have all the fancy electronics and all... but sometimes,, you can get the job done with a compass and a signal mirror! :p (that's my report and I'm stickin to it!)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Good job! There have been men on the sea far longer than there have been gadgets my friend!

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Boy Howdy. you guys don't mess around when it comes to gathering up some fine grub. I see that bonita is getting to be a must have. Reckon what Mike coulda of done with three kings that size? I bet he don't turn another free one down. LOL

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks like everyone should of enjoyed the trip, Dave. A variety of fish and pulls. You turned a questionable day into a bright one. I bet Todd is hooked. Just like a big ol Bass.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Nice fish Dave. Sounds like you had a great time.

Al - I fish the Yozuri bonitos - the purple ones and the blue/green one. I just couldn't take an expensive lure from someone I barely knew at the time, although I did appreciate your offer very much. What I really wish I had was a bigger/faster boat for weather days like Sat. Now if you have one of those to give away.......lol :D.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I really wish I had was a bigger/faster boat for weather days like Sat. Now if you have one of those to give away.......lol :D.

Got a boat for ya Mike... pretty much givin it away! :eek:;)

We had kings skyin the baits we drag'd on the way out (prior to the first Mahi),, I coulda swore the one looked like a spear fish more than a king on the "way back",, but I'll go with the king theory...

For us on Saturday, about 10-15 miles past WR4 and a nick to the south above the 13 fathom area was the ticket - FYI ;) there were weeds, but very scattered, but alot of them in that area as well, we would occaisionally have to clear the lines after picking up clumps here an there.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx Backlash... and Hey guys, dont forget, we have our Get together here this coming Saturday the 9th!!! ;)

Lookin forward to meetin some of ya and I'll start the thawin out of the burger meat tomorrow! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Dave, looks like I"m not going to make it. My wife is attending a home school conference in Virginia so I have shuttle duty with the kids. Plus I have a deadline on a project for work due next week. So I'll be working thru the weekend. I hope the weather is good for the get together and everyone have a great time. ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Dave, looks like I"m not going to make it. My wife is attending a home school conference in Virginia so I have shuttle duty with the kids. Plus I have a deadline on a project for work due next week. So I'll be working thru the weekend. I hope the weather is good for the get together and everyone have a great time. ;)
I'm sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to meeting you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.