NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 115 hp johnson 2 stroke engine (mix gas and oil) today i noticed an oil leak between the prop and bottom of the motor. what might this be?

·
Registered
591 Posts
It sounds like you might have lost the seal on the prop shaft. This can be caused by a few different things. Getting fishing string wrapped around the shaft is one, simply getting old and worn out can be another. If that seal is leaking its possible the lower unit oil is contaminated with water now too, depending when and how it happened. You'll need to drain the lower unit oil anyway to replace the seal. Here is a link to a three part instructional video. Even though the videos are for a Yamaha most engines are pretty similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzwLU07v8U

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
it might be the carbs flooding out and leaking down from the top... is it gear oil which will have a distinct smell or mixed gas collecting dirt and grease as it runs down.

coming from the exhaust tells me the carbs may be flooding out a bit.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
if you idle alot waiting to load up at the ramp you will accumulate raw mix in the exhaust and it will show from the prop later.. Also might be a carb overflow. Put a piece of wood/cardboard etc under it and see if it continues(carb leak) or was just residue from exhaust..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i recently winterized my boat, let it idle a while, disconected the gas lines and ran it till the carbs. ran ot of gas. didnt notice the leak till after i did this.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You just need to replace the seal if it is the prop shaft...if you do discover that the fluid in question is L/U oil. If it is two stroke oil it came out of the exhaust through the hub and no seal replacement is necessary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.