NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions:

1. I was riding out of Solcum Creek and my TAC went went down to 2500 and back up to 5500 three times with no loss of speed or sound. It did not seem if anything changed except the TACOMETER. I did not repeat again. I am looking for loose wires, any suggestions?

2. When I am by myself the boat gets up on plane no problem. If I add a passenger it blows out or cavitates until I can bring the RPM down enough to bite. It planes out but I have to inch my RPS up. I have a 23P OEM Yamaha 3 Blade Prop. I am thinking I need to go down to a 21P but then I will have to watch my RPMS. :confused:

Any help is apreciated!

Indaboat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have asked myself that question but I put it in gear and tryed to see if it would slip. I could not turn it by hand. Is it possible that it would slip at certain RPM's and be OK on plane? I tend to want to change the prop but that is a pretty chunk of change for a mistake.

Indaboat

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Take prop off and have a prop shop check it--It can probably be rebuilt at fraction of cost of a new one. Bull's Prop Shop in Beaufort has rebuilt several for me. I highly recommend them.

Reactions: Indaboat

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have to agree with fojoloy. Also there is a prop shop in the front parking lot of Coral Bay Marina that does great work too. My take on your situation is this,

I find it hard to believe that the weight of just 1 person will make your prop either spin the hub or not spin the hub. It is possible but there are some longball changes there.

What are your top RPM's now with you alone at WOT trimmed out? It you are just able to hit the rev limiter alone with a full load of fuel then I wouldnt necessarly go changing pitch. If it is infact just your prop cavitating you may benefit from trying someones 4 blade prop to see if the problem remains the same. When going to the 4 blade though your pitch will need to go down to stay the same. So if you have a 19p 3 blade you would need a 17-18P 4 blade. You will loose a tad on top end as far as MPH goes but what you gain out of the hole is priceless to me.

Does the current prop you are running have the blade vent holes at the leading edge of the blades on the hub? If so try it with them plugged up.

Lastly if you do infact decide to go and get another prop take a good hard look at the Mercury Props that incorp. the Flotorq hub system. If you were to spin another hub, you can simply trim the engine up, remove prop, remove insert, slide new insert in, and be on your way. Its alot easier to carry a 12oz insert in the boat vs a whole propeller. Probably more info that you wanted to read but its just food for thought.

P.S. Normally you cant make them slip by hand even when they are spun. Be Careful not to cut the hand. Normally slippage shows up as you are at full load and most torque, (coming out of the hole).

Doug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info TC, DF,

I will pull it this week and see if I can find one of these two shops. Honestly it feels like cavitation because if I back of the RPM's it grabs and then acts the way it should. On Plane by myself I run about 5900 loaded with fuel and gear. With 1 extra it runs about 56/5700 RPM. I never let it get that high though I run it about 5500, 5600. Hole shot is what I am after. I do not run that far between fish holes.

Thanks again to both of you guys. I will report my findings.

Indaboat

·
Registered
53 Posts
Back a few years ago I had a Velocity100 21ft with a v8 300 hp evinrude on it. With a standard 3 blade stainless prop i could not get out of the hole with that boat without it cavitating unless i barely eased the gas on. Once up and going though i could stomp it without much problem. I finally went out and bought a Large Ear Chopper prop and the problem was solved. Sometimes you just get a prop with certain geometry that your boat just dont like. Heres pics of my ole ride

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really dont think going down in pitch is going to do much for you other than shorten the lifespan of that yamaha. I dont know if your yamaha is a 4 stroke or 2 stroke, and what the rev limiter is. I know on my F250 the rev limiter is 61-6200 and on yamaha 4 strokes it is really hard to feel when you do hit that point.

I really think that you will be satisfied by going to a 4 blade. Do me a favor though, go over to PROPGODS.COM - Home and register on the forum. Then make a post and the owner (KEN) of propgods will tell you exactly what you need to do and if you opt to buy a prop from him and its not what you want he will work with you and get you right. My call is you go down to a 21P in a 4 blade config. That will keep your rpms about where they are now and get you out of the hole alot better.

A Chopper prop is a prop that is designed to be ran on the waters surface on plane. A Big ear chopper has larger blades and a small ear chopper has smaller blades. The hubs are solid stainless steel and are not much bigger than a silver dollar so all the exhaust gas flows over the hub and bladles. Now taking off it is down in the water like a normal prop but at opt. trim, the prop is partially above the water. Now the difference on holeshot was the blades were HUGE compared to my OMC Raker prop that had tiny blades causing me to just spin my tires out of the hole. In your situation switching to a 4 blade prop would be like going to later blades on your 3 blade. I have also noticed i can run alot lower speeds now with a 4 blade and keep my boat up on a plane, which in turn puts more money in my pockets at the end of the day with gas cost they way they are. To maybe find a deal on a used 4 blade prop, or someone in the area that has one for sale used that would be willing to let you try it out go over and check out Scream And Fly - The most comprehensive powerboat resource on the Internet.. Its a more performance boating place but lots of guys have props that will fit your engine for sale used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awsome info, I will go there tonight and register. I am running a 2005 Yamaha VMax 150 TLRD 2 Stroke My max RPM should not exceed 5500 RPM according to the preformance bulletin. I wil probably go to a 4 blade, Cash is going to be the big factor right now. Hopefully there is a good deal over there on that site.

Thanks again!

Hopefully I can get her up and on plane so I can start puttin them Indaboat!

Indaboat!:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.