NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning

My first day as a member and consequently my first post. I am in the hunt for my next boat and have come accross a 2011 Sea Fox 256 WA in a price range I can reach. In surfing THT it was suggested that earlier this year a member of this forum may have purchased such a boat. If so or if any other member has first hand knowledge of Sea Fox boats I sure would like to hear from you. Prevailing THT opinion is that they have stepped up their game and are a different and better boat than they might have beed in the past.

Any thoughful responses would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
well they have made better boats in the last year or so . it really depends on what year boat your looking at. i also go onto the tht as well as reelboating and both places are good to look up info . the only problem on those sites sometime become a bashing.... but for the most part i think the boats are decent boats... just the older boats really had alot of issues..i personally own a sea hunt and have loved every min.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I'm a Sea Hunt guy (26+') but have seen a lot of those 25 Sea Foxes off shore. I can't comment on the particular model or year, I can only say I see a lot of them offshore and have not seen any towed in that I can remember over the last 4-5 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sea Hunt Guy

I'm a Sea Hunt guy (26+') but have seen a lot of those 25 Sea Foxes off shore. I can't comment on the particular model or year, I can only say I see a lot of them offshore and have not seen any towed in that I can remember over the last 4-5 years.

Thanks so much for the info. We'll see how the market responds.

Thanks again Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Striperjunkie We agree on THT. Reverts to bashing VERY quickly. The one I'm looking at is a 2011 so hopefullty the issues are behind them

Thank again

Brian

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't mean to hijack your first post but I'm looking waaaaay down the road also and was interested in comparing prices on the Sea Hunt, Grady White, Proline, and a few others. Is there a good website that would give comparisons and prices. All you see at most sites is performance specs and lots of bashing.
Also curious about the Dual Console versus a Center Console in the under 23 range. The Sea Hunt Ultra seems to be a good package (especially when fitted with the bowseat backrest) but how does it compare with the Escape?
If I could find a boat that I could livebait striper fish (needs to handle bow mounted trolling motor) and still be able to take 3 to 4 chop (and the occasional 5-8) I'd scoop it up. Right now I have 2 boats to split duty but it sure would be nice to have one to do both. Junkie, will your Escape do both?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
my escape is the 22ft model and it does good in the 3 to 4 ft chop on a lake or ocean.. when you start to get into the 5 to 8 ft seas well it is hard to find a boat that will handle that without going way bigger... one thing i will say though is when looking at trolling motors that will fit my boat you have to look into getting one custom made.. such as a minn kota with an extra long shaft.. they can be done but it is all custom... mine will hold a 60 inch shaft but it is barely under the water.. so it works better with a 70inch shaft..

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Don't mean to hijack your first post but I'm looking waaaaay down the road also and was interested in comparing prices on the Sea Hunt, Grady White, Proline, and a few others. Is there a good website that would give comparisons and prices. All you see at most sites is performance specs and lots of bashing.
Also curious about the Dual Console versus a Center Console in the under 23 range. The Sea Hunt Ultra seems to be a good package (especially when fitted with the bowseat backrest) but how does it compare with the Escape?
If I could find a boat that I could livebait striper fish (needs to handle bow mounted trolling motor) and still be able to take 3 to 4 chop (and the occasional 5-8) I'd scoop it up. Right now I have 2 boats to split duty but it sure would be nice to have one to do both. Junkie, will your Escape do both?
a 3 to 4 ft chop is all most boats can take with the occupants still being able to stay in one place in the boat. I dont even go after 8' in my 25' walk around. 5-8' seas is not something you should go out fishing in unless you've got a sporty. The only reason you might be in seas that big is if you stay a little too long offshore and get caught in it on the way back. In that case, shame on you. An open bow boat is not a good idea for even 3-4'....especially a breaking chop with short intervals

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
a 3 to 4 ft chop is all most boats can take with the occupants still being able to stay in one place in the boat. I dont even go after 8' in my 25' walk around. 5-8' seas is not something you should go out fishing in unless you've got a sporty. The only reason you might be in seas that big is if you stay a little too long offshore and get caught in it on the way back. In that case, shame on you. An open bow boat is not a good idea for even 3-4'....especially a breaking chop with short intervals
I agree with most of this. We go out often when the sea is 5-8' but the time between waves is important. Also I don't know about "open boat". My 26' has an open bow and it is not a big deal. However, I am big on an extra, or two extra, water pumps below. Regardless of whether you have an open front or not, I think you will take on some water in 8' sea.

Just my personal opinion. Also about 40 years of ocean/bay fishing on nice days and not so nice days.

Reactions: 204Angler

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Jimbeam, I will agree with you 100%. I will believe every word you say sir....40 years is alot of time to experience alot of things! By open boat I just meant like an open bow, not really a big center console typ open bow but like a dual console open bow because they never are built the same for big seas like yours is and will scoop water like a screen door on a submarine.
I will also repeat something you said for those with smaller boats going in anything bigger than a 4' chop. The thing about having pumps in the bilge that will easily keep up with water coming in.
On my 25' wellcraft W/A I have 3 bilge pumps. One stearn is a 2000gph, one just fwd of that is 1500 and the one in the bow is 1500. One of my checks on that boat before I go out is to ensure those pumps are all, not only working but are able to pump. Sometimes the pump can run but the impeller can be missing some "blades" and wont push water like they should.
I have only been fishing offshore for a few years, paling in comparison to your 40. but one of the things Ive learned is there is different types of waves :) Sometimes a 3' seas can be sloppy because of wind and current and close intervals, it can be like a washing machine. Sometimes 5' seas are nice big swells with 12 second intervals and its actually fun!
Anyways....I got this thread of track, my apologies

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Jimbeam, I will agree with you 100%. I will believe every word you say sir....40 years is alot of time to experience alot of things! By open boat I just meant like an open bow, not really a big center console typ open bow but like a dual console open bow because they never are built the same for big seas like yours is and will scoop water like a screen door on a submarine.
I will also repeat something you said for those with smaller boats going in anything bigger than a 4' chop. The thing about having pumps in the bilge that will easily keep up with water coming in.
On my 25' wellcraft W/A I have 3 bilge pumps. One stearn is a 2000gph, one just fwd of that is 1500 and the one in the bow is 1500. One of my checks on that boat before I go out is to ensure those pumps are all, not only working but are able to pump. Sometimes the pump can run but the impeller can be missing some "blades" and wont push water like they should.
I have only been fishing offshore for a few years, paling in comparison to your 40. but one of the things Ive learned is there is different types of waves :) Sometimes a 3' seas can be sloppy because of wind and current and close intervals, it can be like a washing machine. Sometimes 5' seas are nice big swells with 12 second intervals and its actually fun!
Anyways....I got this thread of track, my apologies
Very good info and thank you for adding the detail. I'm still recovering from some brain surgery so I am not as precise as I should be some time. I really appreciate your on-time detail. It is all on point.

And waves ... it's always best when you have a good breeze instead of those unruly winds. Waves are something to watch and enjoy; the wind is to try to stay out of. Thanks again for the clarity.

Reactions: 204Angler

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would never go out in 5 to 8s but sometimes you have to come back in them. I don't know about you, but I have yet to find a weather source that can guarantee if I leave on a flat calm day, it's going to be that way when I come back....I was a coxswain and a SAR swimmer in the Navy and had to go out in some rough water. I've been in several hurricanes and a few no-names that would make you seek your maker.
No fish are worth risking anyones' life but sometimes the unpredictable happens. I had a 22 foot Marathon and now have a 25 foot Wellcraft Sportsman. Both are self-bailing and have good pumps but you can still be ankle deep in water if you take something over the bow.
I'd just like a good overall boat that can serve the purpose of the 2 boats I currently own. The Sea Hunts looked like good candidates but I had heard some folks say they wish they had opted for the center console versus the dual.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
The Sea Hunts looked like good candidates but I had heard some folks say they wish they had opted for the center console versus the dual.
10-4 on the center console for fisherman.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gotcha, the Ultra 234 looks as close to ideal as I've seen. Bow backrest options for family and a graded deadrise to give you good entry and fuel economy. Just wonder if Minn Kota makes a shaft that would reach the water for a bow mounted trolling motor or if you'd have to get a custom deal?
Anybody priced an Ultra 234?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I would never go out in 5 to 8s but sometimes you have to come back in them. I don't know about you, but I have yet to find a weather source that can guarantee if I leave on a flat calm day, it's going to be that way when I come back....I was a coxswain and a SAR swimmer in the Navy and had to go out in some rough water. I've been in several hurricanes and a few no-names that would make you seek your maker.
No fish are worth risking anyones' life but sometimes the unpredictable happens. I had a 22 foot Marathon and now have a 25 foot Wellcraft Sportsman. Both are self-bailing and have good pumps but you can still be ankle deep in water if you take something over the bow.
I'd just like a good overall boat that can serve the purpose of the 2 boats I currently own. The Sea Hunts looked like good candidates but I had heard some folks say they wish they had opted for the center console versus the dual.
What year 250 sportsman? That's what I have and loved it when it got snotty out. I am still doing some major fiberglass repairs to it so havent had it out for quite a while. Mine is an '83 I believe

·
Registered
109 Posts
1989 with an I/O. Fairly new 2002 Chevy smallblock. Carburated so I'm guessing around 250 horses. Very fuel efficient and will cruise about 25 mph with a very nice ride through 2-3s. When the four barrels kick in though it's like pouring gasoline out of a can. Close to 40mph on the GPS though. Other boat is a 1978 18' dual console Dixie with an I/O straight six Chevy powerhouse. That's my striper boat but I'm finding I have to pull it further these days to find decent fish. I keep the Wellcraft at the family fish shack near Swansboro.
Transon or other fiberglass issues?

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Gotcha, the Ultra 234 looks as close to ideal as I've seen. Bow backrest options for family and a graded deadrise to give you good entry and fuel economy. Just wonder if Minn Kota makes a shaft that would reach the water for a bow mounted trolling motor or if you'd have to get a custom deal?
Anybody priced an Ultra 234?
Why would you need or want a trolling motor on this boat?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Like I said earlier, I livebait striper (Buggs) and king fish (MHC). For live bait striper fishing you need a trolling motor. Junkie has a trolling motor for his 220 Escape although he mainly trolls for striper. I think he has some issue though with it not getting quite deep enough.
I realize you can't get it all with one boat, but you can get pretty darn close...

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Just saying you can wash a pig, spray it with Febreeze and some fancy French perfume and put a pretty bow around it's neck but it is still a pig. You are talking about trying to take an offshore boat and turn it into something it is not. All boats can not be all things. If you positively must have a trolling motor on it then put some Minn Kota Trolling tabs on it. Sorry if my frankness upsets you, but I bet you would tell your friend he is an idiot if he jacked up his Ferrarri and put big tires on it so he could drive it on the beach to surf fish.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts