NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
One word - diesel.
I get 20 mpg with my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 2X4 and if it were a gas vehicle it would get maybe 12.
I love me a diesel.
Oh yea, it did a 15 second 1/4 mile at Rockingham in 2006 and I beat a new Ram Hemi by a full second. It isn't stock but the add ons were less than $1K and that's with all the proper guages.
Plus I get to blow smoke into the windows of people I see texting and driving-I changed the exhaust so it exits in front of the right passenger tire:D

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One word - diesel.
I get 20 mpg with my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 2X4 and if it were a gas vehicle it would get maybe 12.
I love me a diesel.
Oh yea, it did a 15 second 1/4 mile at Rockingham in 2006 and I beat a new Ram Hemi by a full second. It isn't stock but the add ons were less than $1K and that's with all the proper guages.
Plus I get to blow smoke into the windows of people I see texting and driving-I changed the exhaust so it exits in front of the right passenger tire:D
3.6 liter Ford Ecoboost V6 will give that vehicle 30 miles to the gallon and over 300 horsepower. I like a 5.9 Cummins if im dragging a 20 foot hydro sport to the salt but for a utility vehicle give me the Ford. And ill still het my boat in the water.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Yea I here these are amazing engines/trucks. I got my Ram back when I had a business and there was a $10k write off available. It was purchased by the dealer "by mistake" because it was 2X4 and they had never ordered a truck without 4X4 for the lot. Anyway it was an 04 and I bought it December 30 2004. It was discounted $10k and I got the same amount to write off that year. When I buy a vehicle I drive it until the wheels fall off. I don't have the luxury of being able to buy a new vehicle every year or two so this ram has to last and give a little enjoyment hence the added power mods. I hate payments and I don't care what I'm seen driving. I'm not status conscious and if I want to up my "Street cred" I just slap on my salt life sticker

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
when you combine small cubic inches, gas, turbos and modern emissions junk with bad gas, you end up with a nice 80k mile truck that is someones 100k mile moneypit. NO way will it have longevity....

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I don't know that I can agree with that. I'm not saying you are wrong but I think several things would have to be considered such as how the vehicle was driven and maintained the primary two. Drive components made these days are very well with very good tolerances, excellent assembled conditions, superior materials and much better body protection etc. If it's a turbo it likely is spec'd for synthetic oil and, IF properly driven and maintained it should last 200k easily. On the flip side something with power may be more prone to getting abused. I'd love to have the coin to buy a Subaru WRX but I know if I had one I would drive it like every trip was a road rally.
I flog my Ram once in a while but it's only to clean out the carbon. . Or when I want to put some dweeb that's driving his 5.0 crustang in his place. They always get wide eyes when I walk past them.
Either way trucks hold their resale value as well as a 16' Jon boat.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when you combine small cubic inches, gas, turbos and modern emissions junk with bad gas, you end up with a nice 80k mile truck that is someones 100k mile moneypit. NO way will it have longevity....
There is truth here. The problem with Turbo cars is people dont realise they have their own maintenanve schedule and are very sensitive to it. That engine however, in my ownership, would only ever see non ethanol fuel, and pennzoil ultra oil.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
There is truth here. The problem with Turbo cars is people dont realise they have their own maintenanve schedule and are very sensitive to it. That engine however, in my ownership, would only ever see non ethanol fuel, and pennzoil ultra oil.
I may be wrong but that whole flex fuel premise is based on fuel that's up to 15% ethanol. In my area you can get non ethanol at a few stations but it's all premium and costly. It's still all I would run in that Ford v6 even at about a dime more/gal.
I use amsoil but don't want to start a debate about oils-just saying synthetic is all any turbo car I own gets. A main thing that ruins turbo cars is shutting them off prior to letting exhaust Temps come down.
Ethanol in gasoline IMO is a farce. It ruins components in the fuel systems of nearly all but the most modern engine applications. It does nothing to help the environment when everything that it takes to create it and get it into gasoline is considered and, like about anything anymore, is a politically motivated move that will one day be proven to be a gov screw up.
BTW - how many people have you met that think a car with the, "flex fuel" tag is a hybrid and operates on battery and/or gasoline?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.