NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions on the shortage? From the research I have done the most common answer is that the public is just hoarding every bit they can. If they are allowed 3 boxes they buy 3 boxes; often reselling it for a ridiculous price. It is just confusing to me that manufacturers can't meet demand!! I mean this hasn't just been for 3 weeks. More like 3 years or more! It doesn't make sense that the government is trying to keep it from the public because how many people have you heard of shot with .22? They should be limiting .223 if that's the case.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think your logic is sound. It is my understanding that the manufacturers are producing other calibers in lieu of 22 to meet the demands of military and federal orders (by law they must meet these requirements first). For them to institute new lines of production is 10's of millions of dollars and takes 2+ years to complete. The profit margins on 22 vs. other calibers makes this economically unfeasible for a relatively short time period. Rather than open new lines and loose profits, they take the hit on 22 and maintain there legal obligations to the government. I believe that once the orders are met, 22 will flow again.

This is my personal understanding of the situation and in no way reflects the opinions or views of anyone else.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
What's your advice for me if I want to find maybe 250 rounds at a reasonable price?
Check Walmart and stay out of the high dollar gun shops. You don't have to check every day like during the initial scare, but once or twice a week and you should find some pretty fast. Also online at places like Cabelas.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Also, if you are an early riser, check the online sites like cabelas and bass pro early in the morning. That is what I usually do. Seems like they post new items between 6:30 - 8:00 AM.

·
Registered
155 Posts
http://gunbot.net aggregate site pulling from many online retailers.

Good Luck with your Walmart. I haven't seen 22lr in the Clayton Walmart off 70 in over a year, not that I check every day though. I did recently ask a clerk about it and he said it is still being bought up early morning by the same few people. He sounded as annoyed as I was about the situation.

I doubt we ever see it for under 10 cents~ a round again. Makes you pine for the days of .03/per doesn't it?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I complained when Winchester Super X hollowpoints went from 1.19 a box to 1.89.....that tells you how old I am. From what a Winchester rep told me is that they have been at full throttle the whole time, the demand shot through the roof when everyone started buying the AR/MP5 style .22's.....demand went into hyper drive. Then the scare happenef and it got hoarded up. It was a multi headed dragon.

·
Read Only
586 Posts
wiki arms list the lowest price per round of all sorts of calibers. i found the cheapest at a local pawn shop for 2.50 for 50 bullets, so i would look local first. slick guns usually list the lowest prices too and they have prices for everything, i recently used them to find the best deal on a complete lower.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
a lot of preppers see the .22 as a very viable survival round. You can carry thousands of them because they are light, they take down small game easily and I don't care who you are, if you are being sprayed by .22's you aren't gonna be as quick to advance on someone. Just one of several reasons, (price of lead, price of brass, price of powder etc) the price and availability have changed.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
I used to get Thunderbolts and Wildcats for less than $8.00 a brick at Service Merchandise in Gastonia, ( Ihad to get Mom to buy them) then drive to the dump with a friend (on county property) and walk the trenches shooting rats. Can you imagine what the reaction would be if a couple of 15/16 yr olds showed up now with rifles and starting shooting rats. Police, social services, PETA, ASPCA, ATF, probably ACLU, and who knows what other initials would be called in. I guess every generation remembers their version of the good old days.

Darrell

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sportsman's guide usually has ammo at least they email me about sales. And it is hoarding that continues to cause shortages; even the NRA backed down on the story that federal government contracts caused it. There was a big contract signed but it was multi- year and multi-department.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'll disagree with Wal-Mart, that's the hoarders favorite hangout and they know when new product hits the shelves. Things are getting better very slowly as the hoarders are running out of storage space. Be patient, right now 8 cents per round seems to be a fair price, if you see what you need scoop up a few boxes at your local gun store. Bricks are a bit harder to come by, but I hear it's possible.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Wildcats.....that was one dirty round. When I got a real job at about 15 or so I started buying CCI Stinger and Mini Mags. Discovered the destroyed tree rats and bunnies so I went back to Super X. Now I'm just happy to find anything to feed my 10/22. Dbeam, I hear ya. Even inthe late 80's/early 90' Black Mountain was a place I could walk down the road with a gun and they knew we were going somewhere to blast crows or hunt. If my kid did that today I would be on news 13 and I'd have to attend therapy or hire an attorney.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Think the current issue is still the hoarders, I have a co-worker that has thousands of rounds stocked up and everyday he starts his day searching online sites for bulk rounds. These guys are saving for themselves or they buy them all and then resell them at a higher price. Unfortunately that is the way these things have turned in this day and age.

·
Banned
1,876 Posts
I used to get Thunderbolts and Wildcats for less than $8.00 a brick at Service Merchandise in Gastonia, ( Ihad to get Mom to buy them) then drive to the dump with a friend (on county property) and walk the trenches shooting rats. Can you imagine what the reaction would be if a couple of 15/16 yr olds showed up now with rifles and starting shooting rats. Police, social services, PETA, ASPCA, ATF, probably ACLU, and who knows what other initials would be called in. I guess every generation remembers their version of the good old days.

Darrell
I agree. Don't you have to be 16 to buy a folding knife these days?
We were 14, bought our own shotguns, Ithaca Feather weight 87, 20 ga., improved cylinder and used to ride our bikes and shoot at a friends house just across the city line. Reloaded our shells for $1 per box of 25. Long story short, Cops were called on us, then we had a skeet shooting contest between us and the cops had to buy us Cookies and Root Beer to pay off the bet!

I think guys are still hoarding. When I go to the sporting goods store, I ask. Still can find some bulk, for under $20 per box. Most the time it is cheaper for me to shoot 38 spl. reloads than 22LR and that ain't right!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.