NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask boaters what they think of the follow boat for sale:
1999 wellcraft 24' walkaround with trailer with 200 hp Johnson outboard..
asking price 22,000.:confused::confused:
I would like to know what are some of the most important questions to ask. I have never owned a boat before and I am sure I will get taken to the cleaners and never know it. :rolleyes:
Asking you guys may make it appear that I at least know the right questions to ask..:cool: The boat looks very nice. I suspect the most important issue is the motor....:(
Thanks in advance for your response... oh yea, don't worry l'll take class before I go out and kill somebody or myself..

·
Registered
301 Posts
It is hard when you go to look at a boat to think of everything to check, so make sure you make a list to sort of go by and check off. Most people look at the boat and see thats what they want but fail to look at other things...

First thing...make sure you check the compression on the motor and also remove the cover and look at the internals and make sure everything is clean..i.e. no dirt dobber nests

Next check to make sure the seats are in good condition and that the gelcoat on the boat is in good condition. Get down and check underneath the boat to check for any chips or deep scratches that would signal the boat running up on a sandbar or something (also the lower unit of the motor is a good part to check for this as well)

Next I would check all the electronics to make sure they work i.e. bilge pump, trolling motor (if it has one) depth finder, etc..

Check the steering to make sure it is not rigid or really hard to turn...a test drive is a very good idea

Also, don't forget the trailer if it comes with one...check the tire tread especially

I am sure there are more things that I am leaving out..but you definitely want to write down the things you want to check and go through them all and check them off. Good Luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fishing mainly with the occasional ride with the family. My son & I really like to fish..I am considering retiring in Cherry Grove SC area. We pier and surf fish mostly. He kayaks out about 1/2 mile to fish but I'm not sure I'm up for that. So a boat will fit the bill for both of us.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
06aces - its tough to determine what boat might be right for some one else but what I can tell you is that a Wellcraft is a very well made boat. A 24' boat of that design is going to give you the ability to head offshore (as far out as 40 miles or more if properly equipped and operated) on good days and handle a bit of messy weather if it comes up on ya.

In general, WA boats are not as favored by small boat fisherman as the Center Consoles because while you can get to the bow, it's not easy to do when fighting a fish (front of the boat is the best place to fight a fish that is screaming off line in a small boat). Also when slow trolling, the covered area acts a little bit like a sail making it a little more difficult to maintain a trolling pattern. However, they are more family friendly, offer more comfort from the wind and a fairly dry ride and are still a good platform for most type of fishing.

At 24 feet long in that style boat you probably have a draft of between 2-3 feet, you would be able to fish inshore in the channels and ICW but not in the "skinny" water.

And if you haven't already, do check out Dave's boat buyers guide in the above link - its great. Last thing I'll say is have the engine checked real good including a compression test of each cylinder. It'll cost you a little bit of money but finding out there is a problem before you buy could SAVE you a lot of money and headaches.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I also recommend that you purchase Tow coverage from someone like SeaTow. Knowing that you have someone to call in any mechanical emergency on the water is priceless, especially in a used boat!! and at $150-$180 a yr it is a deal !

Reactions: 06aces

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... I am getting the feeling that a smaller boat might be best for now....You guys are great at putting things in prespective...I saw this boat at Ft. Belvoir VA, on there by owner lot..looks like a good deal for somebody, but just more boat than I need right now..
Thanks to all for the insight...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think a bay boat or a 20ft + skiff would be your ticket!

Reactions: 06aces
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.