NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Keith Gallaher, Art Ingles and myself left Fayetteville about 0400 yesterday morning. We headed for Wrightsville Boat ramp. We got on the water right at sun up and headed to the Liberty Ship. The ocean was almost like a lake, we could have water skied. There were already a few boats on site. We decided to troll a little and see what would happen. Keith was itching to try out his new Down rigger. It wasn't long until we had a Spanish on the down rigger. Not Bad first drop on the new set up caught nice Spanish. Kieth and Art continued to catch Spaniards and Nice blues. All fish were in the 1 to 3 pound range. Next we decided to head out to 10 mile rock in search of Bonita's. A couple of mile short of the rock we found them busting bait. We fish them for quite awhile. Keith finally brought one Bonita to the Boat, and a nice little keeper Spanish. Both got off right at the boat . I during this time had not caught any thing yet. LOL. We hit a few other places and went back to the Liberty ship. It looked like a parking lot. We got to the top of where we had drifted before and started our drift. It wasn't long until we were all catching the blues and Spanish. Art Also caught a nice size Grunt. Keith then broke out the fly rods and caught his first Spanish on a fly . Art and I also caught our first salt water fish on the fly. It was great . We stayed unit ll sundown and caught fish the whole time. We made it back to the ramp in record time, Keith's boat will scoot. We were loaded and on the road by about 2000hrs. After some good food at The Main St cafe, we got back to Fayetteville around midnight. What a great day of fishing and fellowship among friends. After catching those fish on the fly rod I may never take a spinning out fit off shore again. Thanks Kieth and Art for such a great Day.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes A great Day was had by all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It was truly a day of firsts! First fish using my new downrigger on the first drop of the ball. My first spanish on the fly. My first king mackeral on the boat. The first bonita on the boat. Art and Eddie's first saltwater fish on the flyrod. And, the first time on my boat that 3 anglers were hooked up to fish on the flyrod at the same time!

Good friends...good fishing.

Keith

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Glad ya'll caught em up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We used 7,8,&9 at rods. Various sinking lines. Mostly glass minnow type flies as that is the size bait we were seeing. Wish I would have tried some topwater later in the evening.

Keith

·
Registered
195 Posts
My wife, Jeanette and I went back to the coast on Thurs 4/30. The fish were quite cooperative. She caught her first Spanish on the fly. We kept a few to eat. They have become one of my favorites.

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That cool, nice catch And congrats on Jeanette's first Spaniard on the fly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts