NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good number of aspiring fly fishermen put on their snuggies and attended the 2nd fly fishing clinic of the 2007 season which was held at the JEPFEC (Old Lake Rim Hatchery) on Saturday, January 20th. Our volunteer instructors did a superb job of sharing their knowledge and skills in a series of rotating stations where participants learned about knot tying, rod assembly, fly casting, trout environment, fishing ethics, and NC laws peculiar to trout fishing.

For many, this was the first time they had picked up a flyrod. Everyone was full of enthusiasm and very attentive to the finer points of the sport of fly fishing

The sun soon warmed the air to a tolerable level and we moved to the trout ponds where everyone was able to demonstrate their newly learned skills with a fly rod. Wooly Buggers and light colored nymphs were the flies of choice today.

There is no greater reward for our volunteers then seeing the smiles on the face of a happy participant.

Once again, I can't say enough about the great group of volunteers who make these clinics possible. Everyone of them come by and thank me for asking them to join our group. I always counter that with some very heartfelt thanks in return for their unselfish sharing of their time and skills so that others are exposed to the joys of the great sport of fly fishing.

God willing, we will do it again on Saturday, Feb 10th.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i just want so say thank you and i had a great time i also learned alot. thanks to everybody who helped me. so if you dont know who i am i was the one on the motorcycle. would love to come back on the 10th and have some fun again

you are a great bunch of people

shane

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I hope not. I'm gonna try to sign up on monday.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Contact Lake Rim Park at (910) 424-6134. They should be able to take care of you. We have a lot of folks who wake up on the day of the clinic and have a change of plans and end up forfeiting their $5. I have suggested to the folks who do the registering that we start doing the same as the airlines and "overbook".

If by some chance you can't convince them to give you a slot, show up anyways with your own rod and $5 in hand. I will make sure we find you a seat.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Me and you both. Such is the life of a teacher. LOL

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I'm totally bummed. Just found out the winter football coaches meeting is on the 10th. Just shoots my plans all down. I really needed this course to get to the bottom of why I can't get any distance to my cast.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
BTW- The third pic down is of fellow NCAngler Aquaazul1 lending a helping hand to a future Fly addict.

Coach D sorry you're going to miss the next clinic. There are still a couple more before the year is out.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I thought the one after this one was an advanced one. I don't want to slow anybody down by being the 'challenged' one in the group.:D

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Your Right the one after that is the advanced class. I don't think that you have to worry about slowing anyone down. They'll take you through doing a single haul and talk about the double haul but mostly it's another oppourtunity to practice with someone there to assist you. Don't forget the warmwater clinic in June.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I did not realize there was one in June. I'm hoping to get out and do some fly fishing before then though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.