NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I had a blast today at the clinic. Thanks to all the volunteers but especially to Keith, Tom (backlash), Shane (evoboy) and dalton. Can't leave out Al K for doing a good job in running the show. Tom did all he could to get me on a fish today but I just couldn't set the hook. John did manage 3 rainbows (I think) before the end of the time. I learned a lot today and I'm HOOKED. As I type this I have two other windows open looking at ebay and amazon. Gonna open a 3rd and 4th to bass pro and cabelas. The shoulder is a bit sore from all the casting but it's a good ache. Took out the old fly rod I had and am seeing how I can get it ready to go out with tomorrow. I've gotten out the kit grandpa gave me and I'm going over some of his items he threw on his fly rod.

By the time I went down by myself to the other end of the pond from the pros I started casting about 30 feet out. (If you had seen me at the beginning you would know that is an amazing feet). Thanks for the tip of keeping my wrist straight Tom. Made me think and when I got home I found the old brace I wore when bowling to keep me from bending my wrist and i'm gonna try it out and see how it does.

Once again, thanks to all you who volunteered for the clinic. It is much appreciated. I'm going to sign up for the advanced clinic I do believe. Then later in the year for the warm water one. (HELP THE TACKLE MONKEY IS ON MY BACK AND WACKING ME WITH A 2 X 4!!!!)

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since noone else is talking about on this thread I'll continue doing so.

If you have an interest in fly-fishing...SIGN UP FOR THIS. $5 is a steal for all you get it in this deal. Now I've got to figure out how to fly fish from a kayak. Man the possibilities.

I'm hoping my counciler (wife) will come home and talk me off the ledge I'm on in buying a BUNCH of stuff for fly fishing. :eek::D Even my best bud who I dragged with me today is excited about it and talking about buying a combo from wally world to get started with.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny that you say that. I'm looking at fly tying kits on bass pro as we speak. Man, I got the fever bad.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Hey Coach - glad you got to go! Sorry to hear that the TM has a new angle from which to attack you (maybe "wand to whip you with" is more appropriate in this case). I might have been able to swing it today if Fayetteville were an hour or so closer to Raleigh. Until they fix that problem its mostly just reading and wishing for me. Keep us posted on your new fly tackle collection...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Gee Coach that makes me want to try it!!!! You go Bro!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drop, you have got to try it once. That's all it takes.

Being out there today with the fly rod in my hand really made me think about my grandfather today. Everytime we would go to a pond to fish in the little jon boat he had to go around it one time at the end of the day fly fishing. The key though was that you couldn't run the trolling motor at this time as it was always back with him. So that meant rowing around the pond for him. No matter what, you always enjoyed rowing him around. You might have wished he'd let you go around once (which never happened) but it was all good. I know he's smiling seeing me getting back into not only fishing but fly fishing as well.:)

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yep you go the bug alright, ain't it wonderful. I have been fly fishing for most of my life and trust me it only gets better and more addictive as time goes by. By the way that fly fishing tackle monkey is a lot bigger critter than the rest of em' so good luck you're gonna need it. (If you listen carefully you will hear the voice of experience talking.):D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I might be investing about 40 bucks right off the bat. Went out with my little eagle claw fly rod and reel and didn't like how it felt compared to the ones yesterday. Looks like I'll be buying one of the shakespeares to get started with. Then I'll put on my christmas list/birthday list/anniversary wish list/any time list for a NICE fly rod.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Check Ebay. Saw some decent stuff on there
without breaking the bank!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Here's a few pics from the Fly Fishing Clinic;

Coach D working the ponds;

A happy beginner;

Keith Gallaher showing a student how it's done;

Message received. Notice the amount of forward travel in the bend of the rod as it unloads and send the fly over the pond to the fish. It's all in the loading and unloading of the rod.

The gentleman in the blue jacket went from beginner to Pro with just a little help from the volunteers. He was casting 60 ft easily by the end of the day. Look at the beautiful tight loop in his cast.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You guys are way ahead of me - sorry, I had a social engagment last night so did not get my usual report out until now - here it is.........................

Thirty plus aspiring fishermen (and women) assembled at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center (JEPFEC) this past Saturday to learn the basics of what, for many, will be a life long journey filled with fun and adventure along the road to becoming competent in the art and science of fly fishing. The JEPFEC, previously named the Lake Rim Hatchery, has been partnering with a group of volunteers for over half a decade to bring fly fishing to the masses. The program has expanded from it's initial once a year event to it's present annual schedule of three basic clinics, one advanced clinic, two Boy Scout Merit Badge events and a warm water clinic. In addition to that, the Pechmann Center recently opened it's facility and fly fishing expertise to Fort Bragg's Wounded Warrior Program (WWP). The exact extent of it's involvement in the WWP is not yet known, but we anticipate being available to this program on a monthly basis.

The basic clinics start off with just that, the basics. Everyone assembles in the centers main room, which on this occasion is configured as a classroom, for an orientation on the days activities and overview of the basics of fly fishing.

Participants are then broken down into four equal groups which rotate through stations manned by volunteer subject matter experts that provide demonstrations and some hands on exercise in the essential knowledge required of all successful fly fishermen. One such station is knot tying

and fly rod assembly.

Station two which covers "healthy habitat" and fly fishing ethics is always a favorite because our volunteer is not only the "subject matter expert", he also looks the part. Lots of questions and interesting conversation at this station.

Station three, covers the various laws peculiar to trout fishing. Participants leave this station with the latest NC Fishing, Hunting & Trapping Regulations Digest.

Station four begins with a talk and demonstration of the overhead cast. Today's session was blessed with little or no wind but it was a little on the cool side. In fact, we had a brief period of sleet or freezing rain.

The casting station soon moves from demonstration to hands-on practical exercise under the watchful eye of volunteer assistant instructors.

It all winds up with a final exam administered by an esteemed panel of experts brought in from the NCWRC Trout Hatcherynear Bervard. These experts have been very finicky lately. They are definitely not giving out any A's.

This young fellow looks like he passed the course.

It was not total "lockjaw" time but the participants definitely had to work for a passing grade. Even those that might have been shunned by our exam board walked away with a feeling of satisfaction of learning a new sport. We received many smiles and thank you's for our efforts.

Towards the end of the clinic one of our volunteers made it all look easy when he unlimbered his homemade cane flyrod, took a seat and proceeded to pull in several fish from the shallow end. Don't let him kid you, the fishing was tough - but the weather turned out fairly nice, we met a lot of new people and we all left there with a feeling of mission accomplished.

Another Saturday, another fly fishing clinic behind us. But not to worry, there is another basic clinic scheduled for next Saturday, February 2, 2008. Gates to the JEPFEC open at 8:00am. Fayetteville Parks & Recreation reports all slots are sold out. However, if someone shows up at the door with their own rod and does a little humble pie act we will find them a seat.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, that is one ugly joker in the green hooded sweatshirt in Backlash and Al's pics. I think he needs to lose a few pounds.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think I might be investing about 40 bucks right off the bat. Went out with my little eagle claw fly rod and reel and didn't like how it felt compared to the ones yesterday. Looks like I'll be buying one of the shakespeares to get started with. Then I'll put on my christmas list/birthday list/anniversary wish list/any time list for a NICE fly rod.
My advise and it is only opinion - Do not waste your $$ on a rod in one of those "blister packs" for $29.99. Go to TF&G or Gander Mtn and buy their entry level 2pc, 8 1/2 ft, 5wt Temple Fork or Guide Series rod. I saw the GS at Gander the other day for $69 or you could take that 20% discount card you picked up at the clinic to TF&G and obtain the Temple Fork for about the same. You'll be much happier and have something that you can use for a long time.

If you don't already have a fly reel, buy an inexpensive one to add to the rod - less then $15 many places. Buy a decent fly line - does not have to be the best but expect to pay at least $25 for an entry level Weight Forward or Double Taper floating line.

That will get you going without breaking the bank.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Man, that is one ugly joker in the green hooded sweatshirt in Backlash and Al's pics. I think he needs to lose a few pounds.
Just looks like a normal chunky football coach to me..LOL!

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
42 Posts
It was nice to meet all you guys out there, I had as much fun as Coach or maybe even more. I agree with what Al said, don't waste your money on one of those Shakespeare combos, the Temple Fork rod is a great choice. The TFO rods have a much faster action than any other rod in their price range, which may be a slight hindrance to getting your casting down to start with, but in no time you will be happier with the fast action rod because you can get longer casts and feel the load easier.

Be prepared for the tackle monkey to hit you hard, fly fishing stuff isn't cheap and its even more addicting than conventional fishing. He got ahold of me a while back and now this Kayak Monkey is pestering me, but it was worth it when I caught a couple fish on the yak with the fly rod yesterday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.