NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the news the other night and saw that the supreme court are viewing whether the 2nd amendment was meant that "the people" (us or militia) have the "right to bear arms". I was just wondering if anyone had any further information on this?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I think you got it. Hasn't been a serious second amendment case since the 30's brought before the Supreme Court. Both sides seem confident they will win...LOL This case involves a lawsuit filed against the city of Washington DC over it's ban of handguns.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Boy we're going to be in a bind if we can't bear arms................:mad:...................how we going to hold the fishing poles:eek:

Sorry couldn't help myself.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I feel sorry for the person that comes for my AK........

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think the issue is being heard before the Supreme Court because the citizens of DC are currently not aloud to have handguns.. and they are deciding if a this ordinace is illegal because of the second amendment right to bear arms

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard about washington dc but the news report that said that they want to once and for all make a ruling that would affect the rest of us. They mentioned that most of the judges are pro-gun so I don't really think that there is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Dlcomer, like most Supreme court rulings, the outcome will be applied to case law all over the country. The stakes are huge. But there is a reason why they waited almost 20 years (that's how long DC has had the law) to bring a challenge to the law, might have something to do with waiting for the right "make-up" of the court.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
hats off to Jeremy!!!!! Amen!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this case completely, but I think what the gun control advocates are trying to say is our forefathers only intended for us to have the right to bear arms in order to form a militia. In other words, no militia, no guns.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
TA is right the Supreme Court hasn't heard a case on the 2nd since 1939 and there's no decision on this as yet. Probably, won't hear the decision until late November.

In 1976 DC passed a law restricting the possession of handguns only to persons who are retired Police Officers and further restricting the possession of any long gun that isn't unloaded, disassembled, or disabled by a safety lock. Advocates for the law fell it is necessary to protect the citizens from gun violence. However, the statistics speak for themselves and DC has been dubbed the Murder Capital of the World. One stroll down any street in DC will open your eyes to the reality. It's shameful that in our Federal city designed by George Washington to be our greatest example of freedom , citizens are not afforded the right to defend themselves.

Much is made about the words in the 2nd but when considering this decision the Justices must also consider the intent of the framers from other documents such as the Federalist papers. This is very good read and eye opening. It's clear to most by the Federalist papers that the 2nd amendment was designed to protect the citizens from an out of control government by it's nature that becomes oppressive. Also, that an individual should have the right to defend their person and property.

I'm not sure how the decision will set a precedence for the rest of the country since most constitutional scholars believe that this only protects us from the federal government. You have to look to each state's constitution to see where your rights lie in each. North Carolina's constitution in Article 1 sec. 30 provide for the right to bear arms. However it seems also provide the state with right to restrict the practice of carrying concealed weapons. I recommend it as a little recreational reading. I think that you may be surprised or at least enlightened to how many things were viewed like religion.

It's will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. The bottom line is that it's about what the people will stand. People are always oppressed when they choose to remain silent.

Just my 2 and 1/2 cents worth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.