NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been wanting to try out this lake for some time. Finally decided to take the plunge last Friday. Weather was not optimal with wind, rain, and a front moving through. Other than a few spots someone shared with me I knew nothing about the lake so I didn't have any expectations other than hoping to find a bite or two.

Started fishing right past the Huffman Mill bridge and didn't get a bite. Decided to run all the way up the lake. Past the 3rd bridge (Hwy 61) was really muddy from the rain so I went back under the bridge and just started fishing. On a windy point I hooked what felt like a decent fish that got off. Fished in the pocket past the point and got a keeper and a dink. Fished another pocket without a bite, then tried a deeper cove across the lake that was too muddy. Decided to try some riprap at one of the bridges. Hooked another nice fish that also got off. Fished around the cove by the riprap and finally landed a good fish at 3-11. Decided to fish the windy side of the riprap and caught a very nice fish at 5-10. Ended up with one more keeper on riprap before I had to leave.

Water was 51-53 degrees. Water I fished was 1.5-2 ft. visibility. All fish on spinnerbait. I was the only boat on the lake all day (they did say that there was over 90 boats out there the Saturday before 馃槻).

My impressions of the lake for those interested. Is is much deeper than the lakes I normally fish (Randleman, Oak Hollow, City Lake) and has, in general, much steeper banks with many bluff walls. It has a pretty good amount of rock, but not a lot of wood cover along the bank. The banks are covered with overhanging bushes. Many touch the water but don't go into the water so you cannot cast to the bank in a lot of spots. They guy at the desk was very friendly and explained the rules to me well (no worse than Randleman). It was a great first experience and I will go back.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It鈥檚 a good lake and it has some big ones in it. They do like a spinnerbait on that lake. I鈥檝e caught a lot of big fish on it there before during and after the spawn.
I was pretty impressed not knowing much about it. I fished yesterday and debated between Randleman and Macintosh. I picked Randleman and it sucked, wish I had gone to Macintosh.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went back out there on Good Friday and caught 10 and lost another at the boat. Weather was terrible, below freezing the night before, bluebird skies, and a strong N wind. I was very surprised to get that many fish. Nothing giant but had 2 over 4lbs. All fish were in transition areas, fish were shallow but not in shallow water. Water was 57-60 degrees. Considering my last trip to Randleman was in great conditions and I caught nothing maybe I should stick to fishing bad weather. If nothing else you can have the lake almost to yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts