NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a decent kyack that is at least 38 in. and won`t break the bank - i`m 6 ft. 3 and 245 lbs. and 65 yrs. young so it`s not the easiest time getting in and out but i love it to death !! - i think the ACCEND i have is 28 or so inches -

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
You could try out a Wilderness Systems Ride 135. Sometimes you can find a used one that would fit you, and the cost would be down a lot. There are also other yaks that would be as good or even better. Used Nu Canoes can also be found.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
My NuCanoe frontier is 41" wide....

Unrivaled stability. Unbelievable comfort... You can mount a jon boat seat to their seat mount (don't buy their 360 seat, you can save $70 at Walmart on a more comfortable jon boat seat and it mounts the same).

I'm 6'6" 350 lbs with an artificial hip, very high center of gravity, and poor balance. If I can paddle this, anyone can

As to expensive.... IMO, there are only a couple of kayaks that fit tall heavy people... And the NuCanoe is the least expensive of any of them. $500 or more less than the Big Rig, Big Tuna, or Diablo Adios. I didn't find the Ride 135 or the OK Stealth stable enough for me, but that's likely because of my high center of gravity.

Downside... Weight. But it's about the same as the other big monster yaks I mention. Mostly lighter than them.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I agree with Biglenr. When your challenge is stability you cant go wrong with a Nucanoe. I finally got in one for a minute last week at a ramp and I was really surprised. I also like that in a seated position you aren't so low that its hard to get back up on your feet. At 5"8 and 330 I am about as "unstable" as it gets. (insert unstable jokes .......here...) LOL.

Reactions: dbeam and RouseD

·
Registered
315 Posts
Perception has a boat that's built like a tank!!! They had one at West Marine in New Bern but not sure if it's still there. It has a high low seat (they are molded in). Not sure if the width but I know it's huge. Next time I go by ill swing in and look

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
NuCanoes are pricey but no more so that a lot of the other boats. depending on what type of paddling your going to be doing the 10 might work and is lighter. I don't know much about the others but a few inches of width makes a big difference. moving to 34 inches from a 28 will make a big difference.
Outdoor Supply Company here in Hickory does demos on the 10 and the 12

Darrell

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
NuCanoes seem like they pop up on craigslist pretty frequently. I'd wait for a good deal if you can.
I had a different experience... it took me more than 6 months to find one within 150 miles of me, and I'm looking for a second one now for my son (at a fair price).

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had a different experience... it took me more than 6 months to find one within 150 miles of me, and I'm looking for a second one now for my son (at a fair price).
I saw a frontier in the Raleigh area up for $500 or so not too long ago, so I'm probably just saying that because I saw one recently. Regardless, I would check just in case. Deals do pop up, it's just not as often as some people make it sound.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.