NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of town the past two weeks for work and haven't wet a line since April 3rd. So when I got the opportunity to fish yesterday I jumped at the chance. My friend James came along and I was hoping to have a decent outing. What we ended up with was a frustrating grind that got us very few fish. I don't know what happened to the fish but we threw every class of lure we had and nothing produced with consistency. We fished in areas that I know hold fish this time of year and saw plenty of bait but couldn't generate any kind of a pattern. I don't know what the water temp was a week ago but for it to still be 62-63 yesterday and the fishing be that slow it had to have fallen quite a bit.

Anyway, enough lamenting as we did catch some fish and it was nice just to be on the water. We ended up with 6 or 7 depending on whether you would count a tiny bass about 4-5" long. I did land one nice 3 lb fish and another in the 2 lb range but those were the only keepers. We had a couple other fish that hit lures right at the boat that we didn't hook. Also, I broke one off on a hookset and had a decent feeling fish grab my lure but never got the hook (I think it may have been a bedding fish because it took 1/2 my trailer). While pulling out we spoke with another boat and they only caught 3 with no keepers so I guess it could have been worse. Hopefully the temps and fish stabilize this week.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can echo Bleeding Blue's comments. We fished the afternoon till closing with similar results from our favorite go-to spots, on the west fork above the first bridge. Lots of bait, a few beds, long stretches between bites. Our biggest of four fish was around two pounds. We did watch a lone angler boat a beautiful 5-3 LMB on a white twitchbait, but it was the only other fish we heard about. Our day started out with a chilly mist, not enough to call it rain, but it finally cleared and the wind dropped. The lake is at its priettiest that it will be until fall color, which almost made up for an otherwise drab day.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
The electric end has been ok but not what it typically does this time of year. CC's been in the shop chasing an elusive problem, but we think we have it done, finally... so been using the jon boat a lot this season. I had pretty much exact same results for numbers and size the weekend before up at SW park. I fished the week before the big kayak tournament, saw some guys practiciting. It's a shame to have so many boats in that small section up there - 80+ boats is a lot for that area, but I guess you can't stop the tournaments from going where they want to go.

Glad you got to fish, Andrew... your results were not very different from most I've talked to and what I've seen so far this season. Randleman has either just taken a slow start or maybe it's just the beginning of a slow season. The fish could use a break, but it won't stop me from continuing to try. ;)

Hope all is well at home with the baby and Mr. A, said hey to your wife the other day and I hope to catch up soon. Been too long already! We'll be back from Florida after the first week of May and I'll get with you on where our schedules might cross. Maybe the bass will have warmed up by then!

Glad you at least got some fish. :D

Reactions: oldkayaker

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The electric end has been ok but not what it typically does this time of year. CC's been in the shop chasing an elusive problem, but we think we have it done, finally... so been using the jon boat a lot this season. I had pretty much exact same results for numbers and size the weekend before up at SW park. I fished the week before the big kayak tournament, saw some guys practiciting. It's a shame to have so many boats in that small section up there - 80+ boats is a lot for that area, but I guess you can't stop the tournaments from going where they want to go.

Glad you got to fish, Andrew... your results were not very different from most I've talked to and what I've seen so far this season. Randleman has either just taken a slow start or maybe it's just the beginning of a slow season. The fish could use a break, but it won't stop me from continuing to try. ;)

Hope all is well at home with the baby and Mr. A, said hey to your wife the other day and I hope to catch up soon. Been too long already! We'll be back from Florida after the first week of May and I'll get with you on where our schedules might cross. Maybe the bass will have warmed up by then!

Glad you at least got some fish. :D
Thanks. It has been a tough spring to find time to fish. The upside is I apparently haven't missed a bonanza. I don't understand why the lake has seen so much more pressure this year than in past years. Last year it was (at least when I went) relatively un-crowded. I'm seeing lots more out of state fisherman this year also. Last year was a good one for the lake and I guess word has spread. Personally, I don't think Sunday had anything to do with over fishing but the extra pressure certainly doesn't help. I take solace that it has been a non-typical spring staying cold longer and being cooler over all than last year. The hard winter may have also been hard on the bass and impacted the shad population. Anyway, consistent warm days are ahead and May brings the dink-fest so at least you won't be lacking bites!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I haven't been able to get out very much either. Last time was Apr 10, the water was in mid-upper 60s. It should be up in the 70s now if not for the cruddy weather. That day the bass were bedding all over, everywhere we went, about mid lake. I didn't post anything about that, because I didn't want to get the place hyped up even more. In regards to the increased traffic, I think the word is out locally but remember Bassmaster magazine listed it as a top 100 lake nationally last year. I've been seeing posts on here from folks coming down from VA, WV, and other states... On Apr 10 there seemed to be two types of fish - the bedding fish, and then ones out deeper which may or may not have been bedding, who knows. They were hitting a fluke and speedcraw. I got the tiniest dink ever on a jerkbait - the first fish on this new rod I built (2nd build).... I think you may have caught him a second time according to your post, lol

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The bass on the electric side bedded early this year. Way before the preferred 65 degree mark. Sure there were a few that bedded later, and probably some yet to bed, but the best wave came nearly a month early. The dink fest we are in is the post spawn. I have noticed it on a lot of other lakes too.

Any idea why? I mean it's still cold now for this time of the year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have been going out to Randleman just about every weekend, with little luck. I am new to fishing and have been using crank baits, spinner, and doing some worm fishing. Do you have any advice to someone who really enjoys fishing, but is also learning the waters?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Welcome to the site. Try some points with Texas rigged Zoom Ultravibe Speedcraws, in green pumpkin, or, Zoom Lizards in green pumpkin. Berkely Power worms work well there too.
All that being said, try to go when they aren't having tournaments. The bite has been very slow there lately, and I think that's the reason why. Fish are biting well now at High Point City Lake, and it's cheaper than RRR.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Randleman has been really weird this year. I did have a friend there this past Saturday who boated 30 bass but they were very small. They left biting fish to try to find larger fish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the site. Try some points with Texas rigged Zoom Ultravibe Speedcraws, in green pumpkin, or, Zoom Lizards in green pumpkin. Berkely Power worms work well there too.
All that being said, try to go when they aren't having tournaments. The bite has been very slow there lately, and I think that's the reason why. Fish are biting well now at High Point City Lake, and it's cheaper than RRR.

Thank you, and I will try using some of those. Yes, it has been very slow there this year. I went last year and did much better.

·
Registered
301 Posts
At the CKA tournament, almost all the quality fish were caught before about 10am on 4/25. After it started raining and it got cold, the fishing came to an abrubt halt, and everyone basically just got really wet. I caught my limit on a green pumpkin magic lizard on a shakey. Others caught on cranks and other colors of lizards.

Reactions: Lace

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Lace that's a tough one; much easier to show someone than to tell, especially being relatively new to the sport. Jerry's advice is all very good, I catch more than 75% of my bass on one of three things: Texas rig power worms in either red shad or green pumpkin, Zoom UV Speed Craw in one of the variants of green pumpkin (Texas rig or Carolina rig), or Zoom trick worms on a shakey head jig. I will have to try the lizard on a shakey head, I have not done that yet. The remainder is a hodge podge of cranks, square bills, spinner baits, jerk baits, bass jigs, swim jigs, etc.

Keep your chin up about it, part of it is the lake itself - this season it has not behaved like it has past seasons. I'm not sure it's just because of the tournaments; I doubt the pressure helps the fishing, but there is something about the season that has just been off this year... .the cold, the rains, something... Randleman typically will 'heat up' in May and June, and so the tactics you are using may be good ones, but it's been slow for a lot of us that are used to better fishing at the Triple R.

Jerry is correct in that the fishing at HPCL is improving, still has its slow days and the season has still been a little weird, but HPCL doesn't get the pressure that Randleman does.

I wish I had more days available to fish, I'd be able to offer to take people out and show them around more; if you can identify where the channel runs, try to hit points that are closer to a channel and the pockets in between, whether main lake or secondary creek arms; throw flukes or weightless senkos at the shallow brush, T-rig worms or shakey heads on the deeper cover, and run square bills or medium depth cranks (depending on depth) or spinnerbaits down the shorelines and try to bump them off wood or rock whenever you can. Colors for cranks - if the water is pretty clean, natural shad patterns like sexy shad or citrus shad, if it's stained (which it often is) use chartreuse / orange / firetiger type stuff. For worms and jigs I like the darker colors like black, black/blue, or red shad for the muddy stuff, and green pumpkin for just about anything (you can't go wrong with green pumpkin in this part of the Piedmont).

Vary your depths, change things up till you get bit, and just keep at it. I still think (and hope) it will get better in another few weeks.

Reactions: oldkayaker and Lace

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi, I have been going out to Randleman just about every weekend, with little luck. I am new to fishing and have been using crank baits, spinner, and doing some worm fishing. Do you have any advice to someone who really enjoys fishing, but is also learning the waters?
Go look up gene Jensens page on YouTube. The channel name is flukemaster. Best how to fishing videos you'll find.

Reactions: Lace

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lace that's a tough one; much easier to show someone than to tell, especially being relatively new to the sport. Jerry's advice is all very good, I catch more than 75% of my bass on one of three things: Texas rig power worms in either red shad or green pumpkin, Zoom UV Speed Craw in one of the variants of green pumpkin (Texas rig or Carolina rig), or Zoom trick worms on a shakey head jig. I will have to try the lizard on a shakey head, I have not done that yet. The remainder is a hodge podge of cranks, square bills, spinner baits, jerk baits, bass jigs, swim jigs, etc.

Keep your chin up about it, part of it is the lake itself - this season it has not behaved like it has past seasons. I'm not sure it's just because of the tournaments; I doubt the pressure helps the fishing, but there is something about the season that has just been off this year... .the cold, the rains, something... Randleman typically will 'heat up' in May and June, and so the tactics you are using may be good ones, but it's been slow for a lot of us that are used to better fishing at the Triple R.

Jerry is correct in that the fishing at HPCL is improving, still has its slow days and the season has still been a little weird, but HPCL doesn't get the pressure that Randleman does.

I wish I had more days available to fish, I'd be able to offer to take people out and show them around more; if you can identify where the channel runs, try to hit points that are closer to a channel and the pockets in between, whether main lake or secondary creek arms; throw flukes or weightless senkos at the shallow brush, T-rig worms or shakey heads on the deeper cover, and run square bills or medium depth cranks (depending on depth) or spinnerbaits down the shorelines and try to bump them off wood or rock whenever you can. Colors for cranks - if the water is pretty clean, natural shad patterns like sexy shad or citrus shad, if it's stained (which it often is) use chartreuse / orange / firetiger type stuff. For worms and jigs I like the darker colors like black, black/blue, or red shad for the muddy stuff, and green pumpkin for just about anything (you can't go wrong with green pumpkin in this part of the Piedmont).

Vary your depths, change things up till you get bit, and just keep at it. I still think (and hope) it will get better in another few weeks.
Wow, Sam thank you for all the information. I will definitely give your lures and areas a try. I can say I have been using the sexy shad, and the green pumpkin color lizards, and a few other color plastics. If you can find time, maybe you could show me a few things. Again, I really appreciate the help, thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Again, wanted to say thanks for all your help. Going to take a trip to Bass Pro Shops to get a bunch of these. One more question, I am using a fast action rod, 7'2 with braided line, is that good to use? I saw a rod and reel combo, Johnny Morris carbon lite micro guide in the bass pro shop catalog wondering if you could give me any input? The baitcaster reel I use is left handed, so it is hard to find good ones without having to order online. I just recieved my other left handed Abu Garcia Revo Sx so I am taking that with me to have it spooled. I want to be ready for the weekend and wanted to get another rod. I watched some of the you tube videos, and they talk about a medium fast action rod. I figured if I am going shopping I might as well get another rod.. Can't have too many.. Lol :) Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.