NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a novice question. I have limited experience with braid. I'm using Power Pro Slick 8 30 lb on a t rig rod, and love it. I'm also using Spiderwire Flouro Braid 40 lb on my bottom contact jig rod, but I'm not quite loving it. Maybe I just need to get used to the flouro braid, but it's loud and thick, in my opinion it handles like masonry string.

In my opinion the slick 8 is limper, quieter, casts better, and I just like it better. Is this the difference in 4 carrier and 8 carrier?

I want to rig up two spinning outfits with braid for reds down at the coast (30 lb?) and one for shakyhead fishing (10 lb). My gut says go with the slick 8, but since I haven't tried P-line's XTCB or Suffix 832 I figured I'd ask. What would ya'll recommend?

Do I just need to get used to the loudness of some braid in favor of some benefit that I'm overlooking, such as less dig or sink rate? I'm using mono backing and a flouro leader.

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
I can't speak to 4 vs 8 carrier, but if you like one better than the other, just stick with what's working for you. I have been a Power Pro (non-slick) fan, but recently switched to the cheaper off-brand stuff and it seems to be working fine. As far as the loudness, I think you just have to get used to that (it sounds great when you have a big fish on).

For your redfish spinning outfits, it's somewhat personal preference but unless you're targeting the really big drum 30 lb is a bit heavy and will hurt your casting distance. I have 10 and 15 lb on mine. Good luck

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
As far as cheap braids go, I caught 10-15 mid to overslot reds on ten lb spiderwire braid but it already looks worse and more worn out then 3 yo power pro. If you don't fish it too often it'd fine but next time I'll buy pp

·
Registered
236 Posts
Stock up on the better braid when its on sale, problem solved. Seems to hold up better for me in the long run. Plus, when it starts to show some wear, reverse spool it on another reel and you'll get more life out of it.

I also prefer the PowerPro Slick...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Nice thing about braid is shelf life. I use a lot of 15lb so I kept an eye out on all the usual sites and ebay and scored a 1500yd green spool for $100 and a red 40lb for $78 2 yrs ago and since it doesn't rot like mono I can use it up over time and not worry. I don't like the slick but love reg PPro.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I surf fish for the big drum, some tarpon, and shark. I like the 30 pound power pro Super Slick. Super Slick has it's advantages. Having a higher thread count makes it less abrasive and it also casts farther because of reduced friction.

I use both regular and super slick power pro. I prefer super slick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.