NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadnt been to Wheeler in several weeks so I decided to head out there for the fourth so I went out from 7 til 11 to try to miss all the ya-hoos out there on pleasure boats. Turns out there were plenty out early as I watched one idiot on a late 90's model stratos run all over the lake with his trolling motor still in the water. This move ended up totaling the trolling motor and tearing the gel coat on the front of the boat all the ****. Then some other idiot cursed out the park rangers for not allowing him to park his trailer for his air boat on the ramp the entire time he was out there. Guess there is no escaping stupidity!
Ended up having a great morning! First fish was 20.5" and weighted around 5# or more. The next few were 4#+ and then caught several good keepers before hooking up with a 22" sow that whacked a carolina rigged worm of all things. All the fish were in good shape and well fed! All came on crank or carolina rig in 8-12' of water near the channel. I landed 12 in all, all keepers, and lost 3. It was a great morning and it was good to see that the fish were healthy despite the recent algae blooms that were seen a few weeks ago. I am still not ready for a sushi dinner from lake wheeler, but feel a lot better about the health of the fishery.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time for sure! We just have to walk in grace with those around us.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have been meaning to get ahold of you guys, Im not wanting to get anything on such a grand scale as you have, But im wanting to get alittle fishing club together at my school here, Fayetteville tech If I had the means to go id be at state and all over the fishing team there. If you can get ahold of me sometime, anytips on getting it going would be much appreciated.

By the way. Good fishing. I have yet to catch a single bass over 4 lb's so far this year. But i havent really been out in a boat targeting them specificaly

·
Registered
245 Posts
BMcClenney would be one to talk to about starting up something, it really is a growing section of the bass fishing world and alot of fun. We have helped many teams along the way including Virginia Tech. Most of us can't believe how much it has taken off and the experience it has been. On the other side though, even if you don't take it to that level, the original goal was just to have a group of guys to go fishing with, share and learn from. That is why I joined and in only a year I went from fishing farm ponds to feeling comfortable finding and catching bass on the bigger lakes.

But be forwarned that the tacklemonkey hangs heavy once you get going!

If someone with more knowledge on the start up doesn't get back to you shortly, I'm sure that we will by the time school is back in session and everyone is settled back down.

Just root for us as we have some guys going back down to Texas to defend the National Championship soon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had someone break into/get into (seeing as I forgot to lock my car) and only cleaned out my change holder. The only way I knew that they were there was b/c the put my tackle box in the front seat. They didn't realize that I had around $500 worth of equipment in there, including brand new costa's. But for 4 or 5 dollars some kids, I suspect, taught me a valueble lesson. Don't know where the world it headed but I will be glad to get out of my apartment ASAP.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Thieves are getting smart. We have a big problem here with snatch n go theft. They walk through neighborhods at night along the hedgerows and just go up to houses and check car doors. They only take change and maybe a cd they plan to keep because they know by trying to sell anything it is easy to get caught and you do hard time even as a juvenile... I never had a locked door until I moved to Washington when I married my wife. I've had a hard time remembering to keep things locked and bring my stuff/tools/fishing gear inside every time..... so I have had a few things taken. I hate having to be paranoid and I can't even load my gear in the boat the night before like I did before I moved here because I'm afraid somebody will get my stuff...
I look forward to selling this place and getting back out in the country where, when I hear/see something I know it is a trespasser and I have plenty of time to hide the bodies...:eek:

Reactions: Bread Man 1

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
look forward to selling this place and getting back out in the country where, when I hear/see something I know it is a trespasser and I have plenty of time to hide the bodies...:eek:
Dude, I couldn't live where it was that bad. I live in a neighborhood where if I'm not home, and someone pulls up in my yard, a neighbor will ask if he needs any help. But there again, my stuff may be so ragged, they may feel that I need it worse than they do.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
In my neighborhood all the neighbors are in their 90s or such snobs they don't care.....
The real probelm is that I am 4 blocks from the projects on one of only 2 streets that go across this side of town so people walk by all night long...good people and bad....

·
Registered
245 Posts
The real probelm is that I am 4 blocks from the projects on one of only 2 streets that go across this side of town so people walk by all night long...good people and bad....
Yeah, I grew up in durham, got out and everytime I foolishly go back I confirm that I'm glad not to be there.

I had a problem of kids walking through the yard and put up a nice big fence for'em.

Another good thing to deter the night walkers is the rack of a shotgun...everyone recognizes that noise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.