NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another great fishing day at lake James, caught I real nice smallie and lost a monster, gotta love those big jumps... The white perch were hitting like crazy,soooo, I read the walleye slot limit thread when I got home today, I did walleye fish , and did catch a few , got 1 19" and a 21" eye, and I did keep them, but going forward from here on out I'll be sure to release the bigger fish over 18" for breeding purposes to help sustain the fishery, I have got to tell ya the Berkeley gulp alive minnows on a jig head are the ticket,3" on a 1/4 oz head are just awesome, caught all the walleye and smallies on them ,plus a big channel cat, then perch love them as well, all the fish today were caught in 8- 15 ft of water off the shallow points. Can't fish next weekend but will be on Fontana the following week, can't wait ..........

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Nice report. I've caught lots of fish on the Gulp! minnows of all sizes. Have you tried anything similar to a bucktail jig for walleye? I was in Ohio fishing for them a few days ago and that's what we used and basically bounced them off the bottom for close to 8 hours. Just wondered if that's similar to what you were doing....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just basically fan casting the shallow points, keeping the boat in about 18- 20ft of water and casting up onto the shallow parts and slowly working the jig back to the boat keeping contact with the bottom

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I was just basically fan casting the shallow points, keeping the boat in about 18- 20ft of water and casting up onto the shallow parts and slowly working the jig back to the boat keeping contact with the bottom
So very similar to what we were doing. I knew we had walleye here but never really pursued the species until we went north. Kind of makes me feel like a dunce that we did that and walleye are here to be had within a couple hour drive. Oh well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the first year I've actually put in any effort in trying to catch them, both times out have been successful, pretty syked, I used to refer to lake jame as the Dead Sea , but my first 2 trips there this year have been stellar

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
What are you fishing from? And did you catch the smallies the same way, while walleye fishing? Same tactic?

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in a 17' sylvan boat, and yea caught everything the same way, just went from point to point , looked at the chart plotter and found the points that were clay or sand and had a long sloping profile, kinda hard to explain, on the plotter it shows shallow water as blue, so the bigger the shallow (blue ) are on the plotter that jutted out into the lake seemed to hold the fish,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts