NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got our calendars out 2 months ago, and this was the day my buddy Chris, who barely ever gets to fish, was able to go with me. The weather shaped up pretty nicely, a little breezy mid day but overall a really nice day. Went to my favorite lake; anyone who knows me knows where that is. :D

Conditions:
Cool morning, warm afternoon 45 warming to low 70's
Wind West to NW 5mph am, about 18mph mid day then settling to 8 to 10mph afternoon
Water surface temp: 73-74 degrees. Water a little mud stained but not bad, about 10 inches visibility (decent for this lake following a rain)

Started out on a rock pile I like, no love.
One on a semi-main lake laydown.

Moved to upper end of the lake and fished there most of the day. Caught 21 total, we both got double digits and he got me by one fish before we had to call it. Chris insisted on a couple spots we came across early in the day that I had never fished, and they panned out nicely... he was having fun with that, and although there were other places I would have taken us to, I was happy to let him run with it because hey... it was working and he was happy. :) Fished 630am to 6pm. Not many days I get out-fished on RRR but I was tickled about it because it meant he had at least as much fun as I did, and that always makes me smile. :D I won't deny there were a couple spots I intentionally overcast or skipped to give him first crack since I was in front on the troller, but to be fair we both fished like we meant it and I got legitimately bested!

Couple good hits on a swim jig, two on a shakey head, and the rest on Texas rig. I introduced Chris to the T-rig a few seasons back and gave him some coaching, and he took to it like a natural. He really likes it and he, like I have, developed a faith (or a 'mojo' if you will) for it and thus that was what he threw pretty much all day. I kept switching to something else to get something going on moving baits, but got no love and kept going back. No fish on twitch baits, fluke, spinner bait, or square bill. Natural to darker colors prevailed for the soft plastics, mostly in 7-inch worms.

Most the fish were anywhere from dinks to 2lb class, he got the one 3lb fish for the day. Almost all were shallow, but there was often deeper water nearby. Lost a couple good ones but nothing that made me cry too much, seemed like 1 to 2 pounds on main lake points and halfway back in pockets on wood was the pattern. I would characterize it as spawn to post-spawn if I had to call it something. Caught up with a couple friends I have made from NCAngler and shot the breeze a bit, they had good days too with similar results.

Great day fishing, good numbers, size was meh, but weather and company were great!

Happy fishing, and tight lines everyone!

Water Sky Smile Cloud Shorts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Nice to see you on the water. Too bad I couldn't get the assist on that fish.;)

I only got to fish the afternoon but I ended up with 11. I found fish in a variety of places. The best producers were steeper banks with rock, points in the creeks, and shallow cover in muddy water with shade. I caught fish on swim jig, spinnerbait (in the muddy water), and got one on T-rig. Hooked and lost a nice 3-4 lb fish that I saw jump and spit my lure. Got quite a few bites that the fish were just bumping my lure and didn't hook up. The post spawn bite is definitely forming and I'm waiting for them to show up on main lake points. That is when I have my best numbers days of the year.

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was good to see you too, Andrew... and Brady and Cam as well. Yeah I tried to coax a bite on that one you lost, but no dice. I would have given you credit for sure!

What a day you guys had, Jerry. I wish I could hit SW park on Monday; if it works out that I'm off I'll surely let you know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It was a good day for Cam and I as well. We had 29 LMB, 1 huge crappie, a catfish and a bluegill all on crankbaits. I really enjoyed getting to visit with Sam and meeting Chris. It was also great to finally get a chance to meet up with you Andrew. The highlight of our fishing day had to be Cam's double hookup. That was icing on the cake.

Andrew, I caught a fish on the bank you were fshing when I stopped to talk to Sam. When I boated him I noticed something did not look right. He had a huge gash in his right side. He looked like someone had ran over him with a boat. We joked that if Andrew couldn't get them to bite he would just run them down. Even with the gash in him he was still eating and fought well. He looked good when we released him.

I have no idea why the image is sideways. The original isn't.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea why the image is sideways. The original isn't.
If it was taken with a smartphone device, they are saved sideways like that. If you post directly from your phone to the site it will do that. There may be an option to rotate the picture when you upload it, or you can rotate it after off-loading to your computer. I have begun turning my phone on its side to take pictures I plan to use for email or posting, so they come out vertical on the computer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The picture was taken from the computer and uploaded from Dropbox and directly from my Mac and it isn't rotated on either, just on the forum.

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weird. Ok then I got nothin', sorry man. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts