NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, it's T minus 5 for our move to G'ville, which, by my calculation puts us there in time for a Shad run, and well in time for the Striper run behind it. Boat is ready to go, just installed the new 80# i-pilot, three new batteries, and she'll get a wash down once I get all the snow off of her.

Sundrop and all all you guys that live in the G'ville/Washington areas - tell me some good news - Tell me the trout and flounder will be ravenous when I get there. Tell me the Striper run is going to be a bumper crop. Tell me that the fish this year will prefer a fly over anything else.

It's been over 3 months since the boat left it's spot in my driveway and I've shoveled snow off my driveway more times than I can count. I saw my grass for precisely 45 minutes in the last 3 weeks, right between snow storms.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get all this $%^&* on the moving truck!

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Congrats on your up coming move to Greenville NC. I think you'll love it there. You'll be close to a lot of fishing possibilities.
We've had more snow and ice here than I've seen in a few years, but it doesn't stay on the ground long here. You may never have to shovel snow again.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Washington is always hit n miss fishing because of the break in the salinity and so sensitive to winds driving water in or out. I don't like it. I go farther east for salt and farther west for fresh. I fish around here when its time and $$ sensitive. You hit good days if you work it often enough.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We made it! Surprisingly easy move, 90% unboxed, and today I'll tackle the garage to get the fishing gear unboxed and organized. Thankfully it was rainy this weekend, because otherwise I might have tested my wife's marriage vows and snuck out to Washington with the boat while she unpacked. Whew, the man upstairs knew what "too much temptation" is and apparently saved me from myself.

Thinking that next weekend will be the first scouting trip. I'm thinking of putting in near Blackwater Jack's in Washington and working my way downriver unless someone has a better suggestion. Will likely have my two older boys with me, so thinking about bringing some live bait (or netting it?) to increase our odds of a hookup. Any and all suggestions would be enormously appreciated.

Three more questions if I can lean on your expertise a bit more:
1) I'm thinking of investing in a guide, and I mean investing - someone who is willing to teach me the basics of the area. Less interested in what we put into the boat than what he can put in my head. Any suggestions? Got to be someone who knows the area around Washington/Pamlico - basically the places I'll be fishing.

2) I noticed some oil running down the lower unit of my outboard. Since I run a mix (and it isn't fuel injected) I'm a little nervous that I may have a leak in one of the gaskets in the lower unit. Anyone have a good recommendation for a reputable place to work on a 115 Yamaha 2S in the Greenville area?

3) Shad - any chance of catching the shad run in the Tar river this year? Do I need to go all the way up to Goldsboro at this point or are they still in the river between G'ville and Washington?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
welcome, glad to hear the move went so well. For a guide in your area i will highly recommend capt richard andrews of http://tarpamguide.com. As for the shad, you're speaking of 2 completely different rivers when you mention greenville area and goldsboro. You're not too late to get in on the action.
tony is right about captn. Richard andrews and he is having a seminar wednesday night , march 18 in washington . Details are on his attached web site under seminars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.