NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a nearby pond tonight to practice using my new Rapala Popper a little before I went out to the lake tomorrow, and I honestly didn't think I'd get much top water action since it was raining. I knew there was a good number of bass in this pond, but I'd never caught anything over 2 lbs. in there. I caught four bass, and I was trying one final spot before I went home. I had a bass blow up on it, I set the hook, and I knew it was a nice fish (probably in the 4-5 lb range). The fish jumped out of the water and the lure flew out of his mouth immediately. I just sat there for a second in disbelief, and about 3-5 seconds later another one nailed it in the very spot where it landed after losing the previous one. This one I got a good hook set on. He jumped out of the water three times even though I kept my line down when he started to surface. I finally got him close, walked out a couple feet and then lipped him. I guess I didn't have quite enough drama, because right after I started walking up the bank he wriggled free and when he fell he snapped my line. Fortunately, he only fell about a foot and landed in the edge of the water so he wasn't hurt...That being said, my heart skipped a beat having the fish one big flop away from him swimming away. I got a couple pictures, weight, measure, and then I made a clean, safe release. He was just over 22" long, and my digital scale read 5.8 lbs. I tagged the pics, but they weren't very good...I was in too much of a hurry to get her back in the water to take a good one. I guess she was a little skinny, b/c I thought he would have gone a little more.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one! I put the kayak in at Harris this morning before the rain and managed to catch one bass that was 4-5 lbs... on a Rapala Skitter Pop :)

Topwater = Fun!
I checked, and the Rapala Skitter Pop is actually the one I was using too. It complements my buzz bait nicely for when I want to go top water. The buzz bait for a quick retrieve and the Skitter Pop for a slow retrieve....and then of course a Senko rod nearby for when they blowup and miss.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I checked, and the Rapala Skitter Pop is actually the one I was using too. It complements my buzz bait nicely for when I want to go top water. The buzz bait for a quick retrieve and the Skitter Pop for a slow retrieve....and then of course a Senko rod nearby for when they blowup and miss.
Did you get that at one of the ponds i showed you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts