NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only had a half day to fish on Saturday so I loaded up the Bay boat with my wife and a couple friends and did about a dozen drifts across the artificial reef inside of NEW RIVER. The guests on the boat were pretty novice fishermen so I hooked them up with 1/2 ounce carolina rigs and shrimp. They were pretty busy with the pinfish and croakers but nothing else (probably boated 2 dozen croakers). I tred some topwater for nothing so I switched to a 1/4 ounce jig and pearl GULP! shrimp. Managed a lot of missed strikes and some bite offs for one small bluefish. Ended the day in French creek but only made about a dozen casts because the water looked like rootbeer with maybe 2 inches of visability. I have never seen water so stained in all my life. is this normal? Has anyone else fished that reef in new river? I was marking some great structure and lots of small fish. It seems like blues and spanish would be all over that thing. Water temps were almost 90 degrees and the drift was about .8 to 1.2 mph without a drift sock. Also, How would one use croakers as bait?

Sunday I took the boat to swansboro and fished deer creek to find nothing but pinfish on gulp. Lots of bait in there though. I also went to Burden Channel and saw small school of decent spanish mackeral going airborne so i stopped and offered top waters, spinner baits, and yo-zuri baits to no avail. The wife caught one on a popping cork with suispended artificial shrimp she was ignoring whilst reading her book. Went to the docks in Queens creek to try for a flounder on gulp. No luck. finished the day under the Swansboro bridge to escape the heat. Caught two 9.75" sheepshead on fiddlers and one small trout on gulp and 1/4 ounce jig. The heat finally chased us off the water at 2. It was miserable unless we were shaded.

Attachments

Reactions: Greenmonster

·
Registered
575 Posts
Glad you at least had some luck. I fished out of Cedar Point Campground on Saturday around the big island and oyster bars all morning. Didn't get so much as a bite, aside from the little lure jerkers. Like you, I saw a good amount of bait. Disappointing day for a previously worthwhile area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.