NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprise, surprise. Got a limit of walleye yesterday. I don't quite know how to take it. A whole lot of fishing. Every so often get one. Just stuck with it. I'd say that I caught them on what I have little of; patience. 50-70 ft deep. You don't believe it. Neither do I. The water at 70 ft is below 60 degrees. Ordinarily they avoid water that cold. There were fish at 30 and 40 but I couldn't get them to bite so I just kept going deeper. That's not all. Guess what most had in their stomachs. 3-5" walleye. We really don't need them to be doing that.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Congrats! Covered a bunch of water today and are they ever spread out. We didn't do much just some spots, chased breaking fish and marked a bunch at 50 and trolled and trolled thru them but not a single hit on the downriggers. Figured we would get a trout or two but onlt bass. Glad to see you are back at it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6/30/2014. Looking for a repeat performance. On the water by daylight, in the rain. This is going to be good. Good day for a great bite. Well, well, well. Struck out. Zip. Not one walleye. Never even thought I got a bite.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How many miles did travel to get a limit? 6 or 7 spots?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Linear distance would be a few miles. I started above T2 and was working my way down so this would have been about my 5th stop (Forney). Got them all in an area about the size of 6-7 boat lengths dead on the bottom. Never seen a one on the electronics. If I'm not doing any good I usually try to hit about 10 spots before giving up. The longer I look the more distance I put between the stops. On my follow-up trip I went straight to Forney and stayed there the whole time figuring they had to be there whether they showed on the electronics or not. If they were there I sure didn't find them. It seems like walleye fishing on Fontana is like playing cards. The deck gets shuffled every night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts