NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I picked up a 6' Tica graphite rod with a longer butt than most on sale at custom marine. It was 30 bucks regularly 70. It says ultra lite moderate action but I have been slinging 1/4 oz jigheads and plastic with no problem. I have fell in love with this rod. The long butt allows for a lot of leverage for LONG casts but the shorter length allows for really good accuracy when you need it. The butt is also slimmer than most and has a carbon fiber piece in it for extra sensitivity. It is also super lightweight. I can cast a soft plastic just as far as any of my 7' rods with this setup. I haven't caught any hard pulling fish with it yet so that will be the final test but this rod is Joy to use. I have it paired with a Penn Sargus 2000 with 15lb PowerPro. The moral of the story is sometimes a longer butt on the rod has just as much effect on casting distance than total length of the rod. A shorter rod allows more accurate casting. Why not have the best of both worlds? Any thoughts? :cool:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
A longer butt also decreases the lifting weight before the rod breaks. One inch is a noticeable difference. So the type of rod makes a big difference. If the rod was fast action medium power that longer butt would be an ugly experience.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I got a rod primarily for BTB kayak trolling that is 6', stiff and has a long butt section. But I do hope to cast it sometimes and I have a spinning reel on it. My first few practice casts were awful. Then I held it and used it like a hockey stick. I am not very accurate with it, but with a heavy spoon or jig I can get some serious distance.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Glad you found what you like. I usually cut down the butt sections of my rods, because my belly gets in the way esp. in the yak. Plus I grew up on the pistol grip casting rods. I very seldom two hand a cast bass fishing.

Darrell

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
As far as a long butt paired with a baitcaster, I agree with Darrell. With a spinning reel, the length lays out along your forearm and takes some strain off your wrist. It's funny you mention the "growing up" influence. I almost exclusively spin cast (except when fly fishing) and the main reason is probably because that's what my dad always did.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sayin every rod I buy from now on will be short and with long butt section but this rod just feels good to use. At least from my yak. I haven't pulled in any 27 inch drum with it so we will see.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
With a spinning reel, the length lays out along your forearm and takes some strain off your wrist.
I have really short arms. The longer butted rods go to by biceps. That's why I prefer short butt rods.

I usually cut down the butt sections of my rods, because my belly gets in the way esp. in the yak.

Darrell
This could also be my problem lol.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Its your rod and you are the one who has to use it and like it. Just because the rod is not "built right" to fit other peoples opinion (myself included), what good is a rod that is "built right" but just sits in the garage because you are not happy with it.

Heck I have a Wally World $20.00 Shakespeare combo special that is only missing the little mermaid stickers. I love this rod for fishing bluegills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts