NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Speckled Trout have fired up around Seaview Pier and I did get my limits on both Sat and Sun morning on live shrimp fished on a float rig. Not many Blue Fish and Spanish being caught like years past. This season has been on the slow slow side. Hopefully things will get better.

Photo 1: Speckled Trout limit caught on Sunday
Photo 2: Speckled Trout limit caught on Saturday

Tim C

Attachments

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
nice job tim looks like some healthy ones too ;)

Reactions: MOFISH

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fish at different depths depending on how far out that I'm fishing. What you want to do is fish your live shrimp about 1~2 foot off the bottom. So in towards the front half of the pier I may fish about 4~6 foot deep and as I work my way out I keep adjusting the bait deeper and I fish about 7~9 foot deep when I'm about 2/3 down the pier. Fish the front half of the pier during when the tide is high and work the deep water as the tide falls. If you see me out there I'll show you my setup/rig and give you any pointers like fishing with light drag. When you see your float go under do not do the all pro bass hook set which is one of the mistakes that a new trout fisherman does. Another thing is to take you time getting the fish in since if you try to horse them in you will pull the hooks on them. When I see my float go under I lift up my rod (not a hook set action since the pressure of the float will set the hook when they eat the bait) until I get pressure then reel down into the fish and keep slight pressure on him as you work it to the net.

Tim C

·
Registered
17 Posts
When are you going to be down again. The seview is my pier of choice and i am plannng on hitting them up soon. I know i will be down for a week starting this sat afternoon

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the wind forecast the next time I'll be fishing will be possibly Thursday with a better chance of me fishing on Friday. I'll most likely will be there on Sat morning when the sun is coming up since the Trout bite is a before 11AM bite. It will take a couple of days for the water to settle back down after this blow. Like I said the Speckled Trout only bite good when the water is a nice green color and with these 15~20 knots winds it has the water a muddy/sandy color that you can only see 1 foot into. I like to trout fish when the water is a nice green color and you can see 2~4 foot down into the water. Since you really can't catch trout unless they can see the live shrimp.

Today SW winds 15 to 20 kt...with a few gusts to 25 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft...building to 4 to 6 ft late.

Tonight SW winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft. Dominant period 6 seconds.

Wed SW winds 15 to 20 kt...diminishing to 10 to 15 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft...subsiding to 3 to 5 ft. Dominant period 6 seconds.

Wed Night SW winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming NW 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Seas 3 to 5 ft. Dominant period 6 seconds.

Thu NE winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming E in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 ft.

Thu Night E winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft.

Fri E winds around 5 kt...becoming SE. Seas 2 to 4 ft.

Sat S winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

Tim C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts