NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom and Dad came down for the weekend so Mom wanted to go fishing in my boat. We got up at 4am and killed a pot of coffee and headed for the river. We were armed with live baits, ( minnows small and large, red wigglers, nightcrawlers, dough, fresh shrimp) and a good assortment of lures so we were stocked to slay 'em!
Water was a bit low and warm! We fished the lillies,stumps and various cover and watched more bait play in the water than I have ever seen before. Minnows,shad, shiners were everywhere!!! So were the GAR! Mom hooked a big Gar early and over the day as we moved from shallow to deep water structure hoping for cooler water, We only managed to boat a few small bream, one pan sized channel cat, a baby bass and another Gar. All were caught on live bait as nothing would touch anything I threw at them as far as lures go.
Bad day for catching and hot as Hades for sure!!
But Mom got to go out for the first time on my boat and it was her first time on a boat since I was a kid in SC except for deep sea fishing..
My Mom is a diehard fisherperson and is crazy about catchng Crappie and Cats. I wish we had had time to nightfish as I think we would do much better this time of year..
The water was so full of "joyriders" you just couldn't "get it done"... So we are already planning her "few days off" during the week so we can beat the crowds!!!
Poor Dad is layed up with a busted knee awaiting surgery :(so he and my Wife stayed home and watched the dogs play....:p

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sundrop you'll have great memories from that. You might even want to write the particulars down so you don't forget the details like we do.

I took my Mother fishing at Johnny Mercer pier in the late 90's and I remember her catching a decent fish from the pier and how tickeled she was and the expression on her face when I told her to reel it in and she saw the fish. She was 79 at the time. She passed away a couple of years later so I always think about that kind of times with Mama:).

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.