NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Monday Morning Paddle down to the big water at Jordan, with visions of letting a few stripers & hybrids jump in the kayak, snapping some pics and sending them on their merry way.

Did not get a very early start so it was about 8:00 when I got lines in the water. Water temps were mid-upper 80s and there were no airborne stripers, hybrids or much of anything else out there this morning. Just a big, flat, dead sea.

I fished from the Ebenezer ramp, around the shallow side of the first island and across into the S-curves. Pushed into a nice little headwind on the way out that I was looking forward to drifting home with, but it was long gone when I came back out of the S-curves. Could not have been flatter. The majority the fish on the finder were 25' deep in 30+ feet of water. One or two small collections of fish in the 10-12' deep range, and very scattered individuals between 15-20'. Doubt I got a crankbait or bucktail anywhere near any of them today. I still have a lot to learn about the Jordan main lake, but its slow learning when you only get down there a couple times a year. Definitely going to seek professional assistance once it cools down a bit.

I made a detour on the way home to get lunch in Sanford (I recommend the cheeseburger on texas toast at Mr. Sandwich on the north end of town) and visit the boat shops down that way (very sparkly!!). Tried to get down to the rocky part of the Deep River below the dam that you can see from Hwy 1, but couldn't find a parking area close by with a minimum of effort.

Good wrap-up to a vacation week (which means I haven't really kicked off this week yet - may have to do another paddle tomorrow morning!).

·
Registered
871 Posts
Tried to get down to the rocky part of the Deep River below the dam that you can see from Hwy 1, but couldn't find a parking area close by with a minimum of effort.
Jeff,

Coming from Sanford take the Deep River Road exit and turn right. Immediately on the left is a small dirt road. It splits hard to the right and comes out right under the Hwy 1 bridge. There is never anyone there especially during the week. I believe you should be able to launch your yak there. I don't know what kind of vehicle you have but sometimes you might need a truck or 4x4 to get down in there. It is just a short paddle from there to the rocks. It is probably worth taking a ride there to check it out.

Mark

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Registered
82 Posts
Jeff .. I just checked out the area at Hwy 1 and the Deep ..
1. If you want to get your yak within 200 Yrds of the water .. at this time you will definately need a 4x4 .. with high clearance .. a lot of wash outs ..

2. To get your yak in the water .. you have to traverse 15Ft of rip rock at a 45deg incline .. my wife wouldn't go for it w/ my 16' ...

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday I was just wanting to hop some rocks and pitch something in the pools to say I'd been there and to see if I could eke out a fish to clear the shutout. No 4WD here, and as hot as it was by then, I didn't have any interest in wrestling the kayak. I was actually thinking that it would be nice to fall into the water a time or two!

Can you walk down to the low side of the dam from Deep River road or anywhere else in the neighborhood? Not very likely that I'll try as its been 10 years since I was down there last and might be another 10 before I get back, but you never know...

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you put in at ebenezer boat ramp they do. but only after 8 in the morning. the gate you came inwill usually open all the time except during park hours from 8 to 5 or 6 in the evening.
I remember that on one of the holidays when we drove past to fish Weaver Creek, that on the way home the Ebenezer boat ramp gates were closed, with "gate closed" signs... We took that to mean that they were full and were turning folks away. Might have been, but more likely just using the cash register entrance. Maybe if I had considered how folks were going home it would have made more sense at the time:eek:

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time Jeff either way..
Oh yeah,, boat shops (Chatlee and Choplin) pretty sparkly.. been there a few times in the last couple weeks myself...

I too like the S-turn area and that river channel runs pretty deep in there dont it!

Thanx for the report!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Yup, that's it.

See that first larger cove on the bottom left to the north side of the channel, that's where I usually wind up. Two artificial reef bouys right there in the back of the cove and alot of fall down timber on the west side of the cove in there.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wellcraft .. Jeffonc ..

is this the S Curve area your referencing ???

jordan lake nc - Google Maps
right on. Here's a detailed route map, for what its worth - Google Maps

Water gets pretty shallow between the island and the point on the blue route - down around 5'. I spent some time at the point in the s-curve at the end of the outbound route where there were lots of fish 25' deep in 30+ feet of water, just a couple feet off the shoreline. Couldn't vertical jig anything up there.

2 or 3 boats trolling in circles in front of the s-curve opening, and 2 boats inside that 2nd little cut as you enter the s-curves, but otherwise pretty empty.

The trip looks longer on the computer - I figure 6-ish miles round trip. much exercise, zero fish.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Row-Dee-Dow!! The Map Guru strikes again!! :D

The spot Dave was talking about was farther down into the channel, right? To the north of that pair of islands? Gee, when I zoom out I guess that puts it south of the S-curves, doesn't it?

Somebody mentioned that the current in the S-curves can get interesting... Did you run into anything noteworthy?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Yup Kevin, towards the south end of the S turns and to the north of the islands there.

I wont go thru the middle there between the islands or to the right of the shore there... water can get skinny really fast.. Kyak, probably no big deal. I'll follow the S turns the whole way and go around to stay in that 40 ft water. I've seen alot of guys "throw mud" cuttin between them islands..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.